Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:03 PM   #1

:?:???OK, I've done a fair amount of research online, and talked to a sales guy at a camera store, and this is what I've narrowed it down to.Sony DSC-P-100, Olympus Stylus 410 and Canon SD300.

I'm looking for a point & shoot camera, not SLR, (compact preferred) with fast startup, shutter speed and recharge time (I have kids...no time to wait!!) Although I could get away with 3mp, it seems you often get other features and quality with 4mp, also, if we ever want a large enlargement, I'd like the option. Cost is not really a factor. I chose the above three as they were recommended in the store and by Steve (Best Picks) but I'm not bound by them. I can't decide between them. They all have something different, water resistance, battery life, etc. Not all info is available for each, though. Also, the Olympus and I think the Canon have had bad comments about indoor quality. How big an issue is this? Also, do all these cameras have glass lenses and steel bodies? What's the deal with the memory type?

I'm leaning towards the Olympus due to the weatherproof feature, but then I read the Canon is great, then the Sony. HELP!!!!!!! Which camera is best!!

PS-I don't care about video capabilities

neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:56 AM   #2

I know from experience that the Sony is super fast, but I'm afraid I don't know about the other ones. You can read Steve's reviews for the exact number of tenths of a second that the camera needs to get ready for a picture.

The deal with memory types: Sony uses its own kind of Sony-only memory card (the "Memory Stick"), which is a bit more expensive than the types of cards accepted by more cameras. Fuji and Olympus also use their own kind of Fuji-and-Olympus-only card (the "XD"), which is also a tad expensive. Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Panasonic, Casio, Kyocera, and all the other manufacturers all use the same kinds of cards (either SD or CompactFlash), and those are a little cheaper. So if getting a big card for a reasonable price is important, get the Canon.

Sony makes a waterproof casing for the P100 family, which costs an extra $99.

Sony, I think, is cheaper per megapixel, but the lens sharpness and color saturation on the Canon and Olympus are better.

In other words... Which camera should you get? Depends on what's most important to you, among all these things.

I hope that helps (but somehow doubt it).

DigiCamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:47 AM   #3

Thx for the advice...well, not really...I'm still undecided!!!!!!

I checked out the link you gave. It, too, was complimentary of all three cameras. It accused the Canon and Olympus of being overpriced. Man, what a dilemma!

I really like the water resistant quality of the Olympus, but am concerned about reports of poor indoor picture quality (due,I imagine, to the smaller F3.1aperture. But how much different is this really than 2.8?)

Also, I've seen other posts here about the Canon, and they're all good. But if the Olympus is asgood, I'd prefer it for the water-resistance. Any thoughts on this???:G
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:10 PM   #4

I own a Stylus 400 and can tell you that the indoor shots are not really good. It's a combination of many factors.

The lack of manual controls like ISO and shutter/aperture speed, as well as the smallish lens makes indoor shots rather grainy.

But the outdoor shots are great. The camera is a very very good P&S to be used with minimum fuss for good pics.

And the camera is really tough. Mine is covered in scratches and still running. I believe the 410 to be similar and better than the 400.

But is speed is a factor, then the Sony P100 is worth checking out. It has one of the fastest startup that I've ever seen. The pics are good too.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:53 PM   #5

Well, I have both, in my posession, as we speak. I haven't loaded any of the software, though, I just wanted to compare the two cameras in person before deciding. They are both great. I took a series of different shots with both, in and outdoor, flash and no flash, good and poor light. They seem to perform equally, honestly. Buy, I think I have fallen for the Canon. It's SO compact, easier to use, has a cool nighttime focussing light, really small and portable charger, cheaper memory card, bigger screen and other little things. The water resistance of the Olympus just wasn't enough towin me over!!!