Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:06 PM   #11

Hey Volfan...

Yes, your prerequisites sound just like mine (we're busy moms with very MOBILE CHILDREN!). I wrote practically your exact same post a couple of weeks ago. And since then, I've learned countless bits of information about zoom, image stabilization and why weDON'T need a super-duper 7 megapixel camera!

Didn't realize (like lots of people) that determining MP need is based mainly on howbig you plan on enlarging. Since I'm also mainly going to be needing 4x6's and an occasional 5x7 or 8x10 then: 3-4 MP is plenty. I also learned that with having kids, an ultrazoom camera is a must (gotta get my 3 yr old in her ballet recitals!)... along with having image stabilization (why the Kodak DX7590 with 10x optical zoom doesn't have I.S. is beyond me!). And another thing: I've read countless times that just because a camera has a lot of MP doesn't make it a great camera if its got a crappy lense (which thePanasonic FZ's do not).

So, I've compared a lot of them in the 3-4 MP range with 6x-12x optical zoom (Canon S1 IS, Fuji S3100, Minolta Z2/Z3, Panasonic FZ3 - just to name a few).

The scales definitely tilt toward the FZ3. Do you live in Knoxville? We do... I know they've got them at the Circuit City near Cedar Bluff. Go check it out... put it in your hands and see how it feels. I think when we order ours, I'm definitely ordering online: Circuit City has the FZ3 for $399 (not including our outrageous sales tax here). But you can getit atseveral places online for around $315 shipped to your door.

Here's a link to some FZ pics from users here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10795075

Good luck! :-)

Maryanne
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:23 PM   #12

PS: (me again)... you might be interested in this (digital scrapbooking):

http://photobucket.com/albums/v296/f...l1975/?start=0
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:24 PM   #13

thanks so much for your informationJim c and slipe! this has been such a wonderful learning experience!! i never even knew about the panasonic camera but it truly fits all my needs!!! i'm so excited to finally have direction!!! thanks again! and i do live in knoxville maryanne and will go to the cedar bluff store and check this camera out! i will soon be taking great pictures!!! happy holidays to you all and keep up the excellent work!!!
volfan865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:52 PM   #14

Hi again... I want to thank you all for the wonderful advice on my camera purchase back in December. I bought the camera and LOVED it very much! The problem is, my mother loved it too so I ended up giving it to her. My parents have travelled some and wanted a good camera for pictures. She "borrowed" mine and I never saw it again! Now, I'm ready to buy myself another camera and was about to order the same camera, the Panasonic FZ3, as I loved it but wanted to check with you guys first to make sure that is still the best camera for my needs as it has been almost 9 months and I didn't want there to be a newer camera out there for me to buy instead. Any help would be FABULOUS!!!!!!!
Old Aug 9, 2005, 3:05 PM   #15

I just started looking into the FZ3 and found that is has been discontinued! It has been replaced with the FZ$ so I'm assuming that would be the model to replace my other one with, right? Or are there better makes/models that have come along since my last purchase in Dec.? Thanks again... I'm looking forward to your wonderful help again! Jennifer
Old Aug 9, 2005, 3:10 PM   #16

Then by all means check out the FZ5! I just bought it from 6ave.com for $382.00 + .06 shipping. I think they are selling it now for less.It is compact and has 12x w/ that great Leica lens and it takes very sharp photos. I just love this camera!
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:28 AM   #17

You are correct... I'm buying one today! Can I ask what kind of additional memory card do you have, if any?? I'm confused as to the different types. THANKS!!!!
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:53 AM   #18

Sure, I am using a Sandisk SD 512 MB card. I bought all of them on eBay at a great price, and just picked up a Sandisk SD1GB too for just $54.00 (S&H inc.). You can't go wrong w/ Sandisk, Toshiba (I have this one too), or Kingston. You are usually better off bidding on one at eBay than paying full price in a store. Let us know what you think of the FZ5 when it arrives and congratulations!
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:25 AM   #19

I just purchased from 6ave.com... great price! I was all set to buy from Amazon.com until I saw your post. Thanks for your help! They looked like a reputable company so I feel confident with my purchase. I will check out the memory cards that you suggested. I got confused with the different types... multimedia cards, secure digital multimedia cards, smart media, etc. I'm not sure what the difference is. I love getting help from people who know... you can never go wrong!!!!