Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:01 PM   #1

All:

It's time for me to move into the "real" digital world and trade in the old Olympus camera and get a good digital. I will be using this camera for both family still shots around the house etc, but mainly to take sports action shots at my duaghters softball and volleyball games. I might add.... I ama novice... but learn quickly...:-)

I have been surfing around and have a friend who has the Fuji S5100 and they really like this camera, but do have some issues. I really like the 10X zoom as I normally am along the fence or in the stands during these games, so the zoom is a must.

I am torn between the Canon Powershot S1 and the Fuji S5100.

Can I ask for advice from those of you who are the experts...

Thanks!

ReneeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:38 PM   #2

Here's something that will throw a kink in the works....

Please consider the Panasonic FZ3 as well before you decide. It has a 12x zoom with image stabilisation, and a few other features that your other two choices don't have. There is a ton of stuff concerning this subject on this and several other digital camera forums...

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:34 AM   #3

agree with Phill
The FZ3 outperforms those cameras you've picked out.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:12 PM   #4

Thank you both. I am mainly using this camera for action shots and the 12x zoom would be great. I've read the reviews and am impressed with this the camera.

Is it user friendly? I am a beginner user of this type of camera.

Thanks again!

Renee
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:31 PM   #5

I'm getting an FZ3 too... and I'm a beginner like you. It's definitely a camera that is easy enough to use as a "point and shoot"... but also has lots of other possibilitiesyou can grow into.

By the way, with any long zoom camera, make sure it has "image stabilization" or else you'll need a tripod with you to take zoomed pics. Image stabilization doesn't totally eliminate shake but helps tremendously.

Good luck...
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:42 PM   #6

Surely not an expert but I do have a S1 which I like except for 2 things. The manual mode is a nightmare & didn't feel that it had enough pixels for long shots of mountain goats. Had previously gotten shots of goats in same area, perhaps a little closer with Minolta 4x optical, 4mp & felt they were better than shots with 10 op, 3mp S1. However scenery different, later in year,& perhaps closer, so maybe not fair comparision

Felt minolta too little optical & S1 too little megapixel, so bought Panasonic FZ20 which I dearly love, though I haven't taken pictures of mountain goats with it yet. For the little its worth but from reading reviews & my experience with Panasonic, I'd recommend the FZ-3 or FZ20. FZ-3 on sale at Circuit City.com for $310 after $50 rebate & get free extra battery & camera case with it by mail. Unsure of quality since still waiting for mine.

jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:57 PM   #7

thanks again!

My only other question is with the pixels (greek to me...but) I was told the Fuji was more in a triangle so the colors were more pronounced and clear. What does this mean and as well with regards to the Panasonic, what does it do?

I just left the Circuit City site and saw this camera is not only on sale, but you get an additional $50 in rebate. Put the camera bag and battery in there and what a deal. Also found out that the 286 memory card is on sale w/rebate as well.

Think I just found my Christmas present from my hubby!

Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:03 PM   #8

ReneeB wrote:
Quote:
Is it user friendly? I am a beginner user of this type of camera.
The FZ3, like most digitals, has an automatic mode that does the thinking for you. All you have to do is raise or lower the flash. The nice thing about this camera is that once you do learn a bit about photography, you can switch to manual or priority modes and play with those settings.

That Circuit City deal is great, especially since you can pick up the camera at a local store, if you have one.

As for the pixel thing - don't worry, you won't be able to tell the difference....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:35 PM   #9

Short answer on pixels is that 3 mp camera typically good for up to 8 x 10 prints. 4 mp is good for prints up to 11 x 13. So 8 x 10 print from 4mp camera should have a little more detail or you can crop the print & blow it up or use digital zoom to get closer & have a compariable quality print to 8 x10 taken with 3 mp camera. However, every camera differs.

Megapixel.net typically rates Fuji photo quality below Canon & Panasonic until you get in higher dollar cameras.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote