Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:49 PM   #1

I am buying 3 digital cameras for 3 different people for Christmas. These will be my first digital camera purchases.

1. 16y/o son: I am strongly considering the Canon SD110 ($199) for him. Small, metal body and since he will only do 4X6's, it has plenty of resolution. I wish it had a little more zoom. At $250 I might consider something else but at $199 for the size and metal case I feel it is hard to beat. Size and duribility are probably more important needs for him unless he starts carrying a purse

Are there any other choices I should consider?

2. 24y/o daughter with kids: I am looking at the Canon A75 or Nikon CP3200 for her. Again mainly 4X6's with an occasional 8X10. I think they both have good image quality, AA batteries and use CF or SD storage media. I kind of worry about the plastic cases but don't know of better choices in the $200 or so price range. I have also considered the Canon SD110 for her to. I wnat to hold down ownership costs for her so I have been looking at cameras that use AA batteries and not XD or Memory stick storage media.

Again are there other choices I should consider for her.

3. My darling wife: This will be my more expensive purchase. She is a newbie but interested so it has to have a "beginner" mode but room to go. She has kind of looked at some cameras and for her about the only thing she requested was to have a "grip" and maybe a little bigger view screen. The grip is more important. For her, the type of batteries or storage media is not important issue. Size doesnt seem to be a big issue either. I am considering both 3X zoom cameras and the long zoom also. I would like to have a metal body if anyone thinks that as real important. A mimimum of 4MP but I would like at least a 5MP I am looking for very good to excellent image quality.

At the low end I am looking at the Canon A95. The upper end would be the Canon G6 but I really dont want to spend quite that much if possible. What would be some good choices to check out here. She doesnt like the Sony P100/150 body style.

If I go the long zoom route the Panasonics seem to be the best choices or maybe one of the models by Olympus unless someone has some better ideas.

Thanks for any advice or help anyone can take the time to give.

seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:42 PM   #2
Administrator

seymour_man wrote:
Quote:
I wnat to hold down ownership costs for her so I have been looking at cameras that use AA batteries and not XD or Memory stick storage media.
Regardless of which model you choose, you'll want to make sure you have rechargeable batteries (either the Lithium Ion type the model uses, or rechargeable NiMH AA Batteries with a charger if it takes AA's).

Most models using Lithium Ion ship with one, and also include a way to recharge them (either in camera, or via a separate charger). Models that use AA batteries vary (many only include a set of Alkalines that will be depleted quickly), so you'll want NiMH Rechargeables instead.

Spares are also recommended, so that you have extras when you'll be away from a power source for a while and can't recharge them.

See this article on batteries and chargers for models using AA's:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

You'll also want larger memory cards than will ship with a camera. The ones that shipare really next to worthless (the capacities are so small, you won't get many images on the included memory cards).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:33 AM   #3

Since I havent really received any responses let me rephrase the question a bit.

Since no responses I will assume that the Canon SD110 is suitable for my son and either the Canon SD110 or A75 is ok for my daughter.

For my wife though I have the Canon A95 ($300) atthe lowend of the spectrum and the Canon G6 (~600) at the high end. As i said she wants a body style with some "grip" on the side. That is why I am not considering something like the Canon S60/70

So what are some options of some cameras in between these 2 that is considered better (picture quality, etc) than the A95 without having to spend that much for a G6. Or are the only options close enough in price to the G6 that I might as well just get it?

I guess what I am looking for is if there are cameras in the $400-500 price range that are really that much better than the Canon A95 or is~$600 the next price point you have to spend to get a better camera?

Of course if anyone has any better choices at the A95 price point please incluse those to.

Thanks in advance.
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:59 AM   #4

The canon a series a not fast at all. They have quiet a big shutterlag.Maybe for your daughter with children not such a good idear ...

For your son and / or daughter maybe the nikon coolpix 3700. I have seen sample pics which are really good. It has a movie mode too and the price is really good with the rabate...

For your wife maybe the pentax sv (5mp and 5 zoom in a compact camera...)

These are just some idears to make it even harder

Good luck!

ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 2:09 PM   #5
Administrator

seymour_man:

There aremany models on the market now, and the Canons make good choices.

I'd read the reviews here, paying close attention to the conclusion section.This is where you'll see things like startup time, autofocus speed and reliability, cycle time (time between photos before you can take another one), image quality indoors and outdoors, etc.

You may also want to check the specifications to look at things like flash range (since the models you're looking at don't have the ability to use an external flash, with the exception of the G6).

Quote:
For my wife though I have the Canon A95 ($300) atthe lowend of the spectrum and the Canon G6 (~600) at the high end. As i said she wants a body style with some "grip" on the side. That is why I am not considering something like the Canon S60/70

So what are some options of some cameras in between these 2 that is considered better (picture quality, etc) than the A95 without having to spend that much for a G6. Or are the only options close enough in price to the G6 that I might as well just get it?
The G6 is a higher end "Prosumer" model. It's got a brighter lens compared to the A95, more resolution (which isn'treally veryimportant unless you need much larger prints). It's also got a hot shoe for an external flash, ability to use add-on lens accessories, etc.

The brighter lens could come in handy to keep help get faster shutter speeds in lower light. It's one of the few models on the market with lens as bright as f/2.0 at it's wide angle setting.

Quote:
I guess what I am looking for is if there are cameras in the $400-500 price range that are really that much better than the Canon A95 or is~$600 the next price point you have to spend to get a better camera?
Well, depending on the conditions, an inexpensive model can take photos just as nice or nicer as a very expensive model. It all depends on how someone is using one and the conditions you're taking photos in.

You will see some differences in features, camera speed, etc., as you get into the higher end consumer models. The biggest jumpusually won't come until you get into a DSLR model (for example, the Canon Digital Rebel). Even then, in good light, the images from an inexpensive camera can be hard to distinquish from an expensive one.

You will find a "best cameras" list here, if you want to look at other choices available in this price range:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

I'd keep in mind, that as a general rule, the smaller the camera, the more compromises you'll make (flash range, ability to use add on lens accessories, ergonomics, control layout, etc.). Make sure to read the review conclusion sections for any models you consider.

Each one with have pros and cons. I can imagine that they'll appreciate the gift, regardless of which models you choose.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote