Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:18 PM   #1

Should I buy Canon 20D or Nikon D100 Digital SLR??????
HELP:!::!:
eaglez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:13 PM   #2

I'm not too knowledgeable about DSLRs but why would you get a Nikon D100 instead of the newere D70? :?:

In any case, usually you make the DSLR decision based on the lens system you want. What lens are you going to purchase? You like the Canon ones or the Nikon ones better?

If you ignore price, the 20D is supposed to way better than the D70 (the price alone indicates that).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:35 PM   #3
Administrator

You may want to give forum members a better idea of what you plan to use a camera for (shooting condtions, intended use of photos, desired print sizes,etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 3:41 PM   #4

I decided between the Canon 20D & Nikon D100 because I thought they were equals.
I assumed that nikon D70 & Canon Digital Rebel were a equal lower grade system.
Thanks for the reply.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 3:47 PM   #5

If you are likely to go for the d100, you may want to wait or just buy the d70. The d100 is kind of old, and Nikon is likely to replace it soon. But then again i have been thinking that for awhile.

Whatever your decision remember that the lenses are going to keep you in that system for quite awhile.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 3:51 PM   #6

I shoot a little of everything.
Action, Portraits, Landscapes, Macro etc.
I would like to get very large prints of my Dirt Track Race Cars (at least 16 x 20). Some of my Family Portrait customers like large prints also.

I have a Canon A2E & Canon lenses, but would still have to buy at least a 17mm zoom because of the 1.6 lens ratio. I've also heard I would need to get the new Canon Flash that my Canon 540EZ would not work! So which ever camera I choose I will need new lenses & flash!

Just needed some suggestions on which way to go (NIKON or CANON)

Thanks for the reply.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 3:53 PM   #7

Have you heard of Nikon working on a new DSLR????????
It is about time for a new one.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:00 PM   #8
Administrator

eaglez28 wrote:
Quote:
I shoot a little of everything.
Action, Portraits, Landscapes, Macro etc.
I would like to get very large prints of my Dirt Track Race Cars (at least 16 x 20). Some of my Family Portrait customers like large prints also.

I have a Canon A2E & Canon lenses, but would still have to buy at least a 17mm zoom because of the 1.6 lens ratio. I've also heard I would need to get the new Canon Flash that my Canon 540EZ would not work! So which ever camera I choose I will need new lenses & flash!
If you've already got a Canon A2E with lenses, then it probably makes sense to go with the EOS-20D. You'd have 2 extra megapixels to work with for your 16x20" prints, as well as a faster frame ratefortaking shots of yourDirt Track cars racing (my assumption is that is what you meant).

You could also share your lenses with the A2E, using it as a backup, or when you need more dynamic range than a Digital Camera can giveyou.

I know you mentioned needing to buy new lenses to get the wider end covered due to the 1.6x crop factor, but if you've got any other lenses, they'd work.

Both the Nikon and the Canon are good cameras. The Canon has some advantages, but they may or may not be important to you. I'd probably go with the D70 vs. D100ifI went with Nikon. It's performance is pretty good (about 3 frames per second with a decent buffer, so this mayfast enough for your needs and it's less expensive).

Quote:
Have you heard of Nikon working on a new DSLR????????
It is about time for a new one.
Well, you see speculation on a D100 replacement from time to time. I feel sure they're working onnew models (as manufacturers do). So, eventually we'llhear something. There's a big PMA (Photo Marketing Association) show coming up in February, so perhaps we'llsee some new models then.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:05 PM   #9

I have a Canon 28-105 lense & 75-300 IS usm lense.
looking into the canon EFS 17-85 usm lense & canon EFS 18-55 lense. I've heard the 18-55 is a cheaper quality lense????

Thanks for the info :-)
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:35 PM   #10

I have heard mixed things about the 18-55, but I know nothing about the other lens.

While I believe the D70 is considered better than the D100, since you already have lenses for the Canon EOS system, I would recommend you get the 20D. It's a great camera, and it should be better than the D70 at tracking the subjects of action shots.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote