Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:21 PM   #1

Which camera is better? I'm going to Europe this summer and need a camera that takes great indoor shots (museams, churches, etc.) and outdoor scenery shots. These 4.0mp camera are both within my price range at approx. $350 CAD. Also, I'd be open to suggestions to other cameras too.

Vanessa
vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:01 PM   #2

vanessa wrote:
Quote:
Which camera is better?
Vanessa
Considering that both cameras are in the same type category, have similar features and build quality, and come from respected manufacturers, that one could not be considered better than the other. They merely do essentially the same thing in two different ways. Personally, I like the fact that the Nikon needs only two batteries, and also that Nikon is generally accepted to have great macro capabilities (which I realize you didn't mention needing). I think the Nikon is a bit smaller too.

On the other hand, I think the Canon will allow you to adjust the aperture and shutter speeds (A and S modes), while if I remember correctly (which I don't always do) the Nikon does not. If you are knowledgeable of photography and know when to change the aperture/shutter, then you might like the Canon better. Again, even though I know how to do these things, I would still prefer the Nikon since it has many other shooting modes that would most likely meet my needs.

Don't sweat the decision - either are great choices....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:01 PM   #3

By the way - would you care to mention where you will be going in Europe?

PhilR.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:38 PM   #4

I will be backpacking all across Europe for four months or so to places like Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Croatia, and Scotland. Pretty excited. Even though I'm not going till April I still think I should buy a camera soon to get used to all the functions and have some fun with it. Moving to a digital cam is definately the way to go and I'd rather spend the money on a decent camera that'll last. I mostly will be taking 5x7 pics but its always good to have that option with 4mp cameras for bigger pics.

What do you think about the Fuji FinePix E10 or the Sony DSC-P73? The Sony cameras are getting cheaper now it seems but I've been hesistant to really consider them as I've heard some bad reviews of the quality of Sony's lens and cameras. Also, the fact that their memory sticks are quite expensive.

Vanessa
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:19 PM   #5

Don't worry about the lens quality of Sony cameras. As long as one is comparing cameras of equal price and mp's, you would not be able to tell the difference between any of the cameras from the major manufacturers. The P73 would also be a great choice, but IMO not any better than the cameras already mentioned. I don't know the E10, but I can tell you that Fuji makes cameras with quality as good as anything else you will find in equivalent price ranges.

Memory sticks can be found made by manufacturers other than Sony, so they are fairly comparable in prices.

Since there isn't a whole lot of difference in the suitability of any of these cameras, probably the best thing you could do is to find a store that has as many as possible and just play with them, and buy the one that feels right....

If by chance you haven't been to Europe before, may I recommend a book called First Time Europe, by Rough Guides.

PhilR.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 6:42 PM   #6

Well, I decided to buy a Canon Powershot camera but went with the lower 3.2 MP camera, the A75. The price at $259 CAD was just more affordable and I believe 3.2MP cameras will still take decent pics. Is their a big difference between the A75 and A85 besides the megapixel differences? I hope I made the right choice. Just need reassurance. I ordered the camera online and it should arrive on Tuesday.

Vanessa
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:20 PM   #7

Vanessa, when u get the camera, please post what do you think of it. I'm in exactly the same dilemma, whether to go for the A85 for $330 or the A75 for $250. Is the A85 worth the difference?
max034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:48 PM   #8

According to this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_a75&show=all

Other than the extra megapixel it's pretty much the same camera.
max034 is offline   Reply With Quote