Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:12 PM   #1

i am looking for a camera for my wife and i to use for travel, our two toddlers, and "everyday normal photos."

we are looking at a 5 MP camera, would like it to be very easy to use, and be able to take it pretty much anywhere.

the pictures will be used to e-mail, put in a photo album, and as framed pictures in the house.

the cameras i have been looking at include the canon s500 and a95, the nikon 5200, and the sony dsc-w1, and dsc-p100. i am not sure if we should also look at any of the k-m dimage, or casio exilim ones as well.

any opinions would be greatly welcome.
Gumpwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:48 PM   #2

I think you are on the right track... you basically listed the cameras that I would look at... Sony makes the best ultra-compacts in my opinion but they are generally overpriced... Canon is also somewhat more expensive but they are good quality... Casio makes good compacts that are cheaper... Kodak makes very easy-to-use (which also means they are not as "good") cameras...

My favourite is the Sony W1 (for ultra-compact) and Canon A85 or A95. If cost is a concern, you can drop down a bit (eg. A95 down to A85; or to another brand like Casio). I would say something like the Canon A line is good for general photography...

Do a comparison of these cameras (most of they are very similar to each other in terms of key specs) and check them out in a store... go with the one you like the best and are comfortable with... I don't think you can go wrong with the ones you listed...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:09 AM   #3

thanks for the advice. i was in a couple of stores today (circuit city and best buy) and picked them all up. i like the feel of the nikon the best, the size of the canon s500 the best, the large LCD on the sony w1, and the features on the canon a95.

this is why i'm so confused.:?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 1:57 AM   #4

Yup - that is the eternal conundrum of digital cameras. None of them will have everything you want.

Given that all of these are excellent cameras, youcould just put yourself out of your misery and just buy the least expensive one. Personally, I would go for the Sonys because of their extremely quick startup and shutter lag times, which if I remember correctly (which isn't a given, as the peanut gallery can attest) are the best of this bunch.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:50 AM   #5

You should look at the pentax optio sv too, 5mp and 5 x zoom (which is a very nice feature to have) and compact!

Now I made you even more confused

Good luck!
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:39 AM   #6

Gumpwine wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the advice. i was in a couple of stores today (circuit city and best buy) and picked them all up. i like the feel of the nikon the best, the size of the canon s500 the best, the large LCD on the sony w1, and the features on the canon a95.

this is why i'm so confused.:?
Well... you can try prioritizing what you like. For instance, is a large LCD more important than size? The Canon A95 is compact and a little bigger than say the sony W1 (I have to check the size but I think that's right) but it offers more features. The Canon S500 line, for example, is ultra-compact so they are smaller while offering less features. So are you ok with a COMPACT as opposed to ULTRA-COMPACT? How about style and design? Does the looks matter? ... You know, try to figure out which of those things matter more... decide which one matters more to you. Most of the features are pretty similar so it is going to come down to the small features.

If it were ME (I'm sure you have different preferences from me), AND if I were going for something small, I would want an ultra-compact (as opposed to compact). BUT this is because I just bought a larger digicam and a small camera will be for convenience. Furthermore, if I went with an ultra-compact, I would not care too much about manual features; What would matter most to me are convenience, size, and stuff like that. For instance, I would value a larger LCD screen over something else because I think that's more important for an ultra-compact; I would value style and design (I like the black Sony W1) over some other minor factor; and so on...

Just narrow it down to 3 or 4 cameras (which you seem to have done) and then prioritize what you like and then go with the "best" camera. Even if you make a mistake, you can't really go wrong because we are down to small features that really don't matter THAT much.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 6:08 PM   #7

have you looked at the Canon SD300??? Even smaller than the one you've got. As you can see from my post around here somewhere, I compared it to a Sony and an Olympus and it came out the winner for me. I'm using it for much the same things you are,
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:56 PM   #8
smc

I think the W1 is a great choice. It's got a $50 rebate for about week from Sony and the things that I think you'd like as I have a youngster,too; Fast start up , fast shot to shot,I think better than the A95 and the video is better at 640x480 at 30fps. Also when grandparents or other relatives come over I love being able to show pics on the TV. Most if not all Casio's can not do that.The same goes for the p100 as the W1 except no $50 rebate, smaller sized though.
The SD300 is another excellent choice but it's $50 more than W1.1 mp less. IMO pictures aren't as good.
I also handles most of the cameras and liked the shape of the Nikon 4200 but thought it felt cheap and then I found out it's all metal.Deal breaker for me is that I read it performed slow. Got to be fast to keep up with my boy.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:41 AM   #9

thanks for all the advice.i guess i'll take my wife to the store and pick them all up and see which one we like the best. it seems that no matter which way we go, we're going to get a good camera, so at least i'm happily confused.