Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:44 PM   #1

I just got my wife a Nikon 4200, which she's happy with except for the shot-to-shot delay. Using the flash it can be several seconds between shots, which seems like forever to her.

Investigating other options, the Kodak DX7440 seems extremely responsive (I've tried it) and might be perfect except that it feels rather large & inelegant compared to the Nikon.

Are there other cameras in this general price & MP (4) range that also have a fast response time that are worth examining? (The 4x zoom on the Kodak was also a plus.)

Joel
joelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:36 AM   #2

From the lack of responses, I'm wondering if any moderately priced fast point & shoots really exist!

Further experimentation reveals that the big problem with the Nikon 4200 is the flash recharging time, which can be quite long when the subject isn't too close and the flash discharges completely. This is likely related to the fact that this camera has a particularly bright flash and because Lithium batteries release their charge slower that, say, alkalines.

Anyone know of a camera with a bright flash AND a fast recycle time?
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:40 AM   #3

yeah.......the Canon Pro1
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:13 PM   #4

Not sure what you consider "elegant". I would handle some cameras in a store and then go to Steve's conclusion in the review of the cameras you like to find the flash cycle times. He always includes that under performance. I think you will find a fairly large range independent of battery type.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:23 PM   #5

Steve's reviews are the best I've found for showing shot timings, but even he is not consistent. I looked at the reviews for several Sony cameras that he thought were fast and none of them showed the shot to shot times when using flash. I just went into a store and shot a W1 with flash at a distance and it indeed took around 5 seconds to recycle--better than the Nikon, but still slow.

Of the models I've tested, it seems that there is--not surpringly, I guess--a correlation between flash recycle time and strength. If you want more light, it takes longer to get it. It's a shame no one tests for this under consistent, controlled conditions and provides comparison charts.