Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:40 AM   #1

My Priorities are large zoom, image stabiliser and possibly ahotshoe for external flash, would consider a slave flash unit.

I take most of my photos whilst out walking with my partner and sometimes inside at Gigs.

Which camera will give the best results, Panasonic DMC-FZ20,or Minolta Z3?

Have changed my list to include Panasonic FZ3
Christine Braunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:57 AM   #2

The Panasonic is FAR BETTER for picture quality than the KM... The KM only beats the Panasonic when it comes to video...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:52 AM   #3

the panasonic
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:52 PM   #4

The FZ20 is f2.8 at 12X zoom where the Z3 is f4.5. That is over an f-stop slower and uses up about half of your advantage with stabilization.

The Z3 has low-light focusing difficulties where the FZ20 is good at that with a focus assist lamp. You get a lot more flash range with the FZ20 as well.

Optical quality is better with the FZ20, and you have a higher Mp.

The really big advantage of the Z3 is size. It is much more compact, but not a lot lighter once you put 4 NiMH batteries in it. You also have to buy a charger and batteries for it. You can pick up a charger and four 2200mah batteries at Wal-Mart for $18, so that isn't a big deal. And spares are cheaper.

If you have handled a FZ20 and the size is OK then it is a better camera IMO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:15 AM   #5

Thanks for thr answers. I have ruled out the DimageZ3 and I am now trying to decide between FZ20 and FZ3 (both Panasonic). I won't be using the external flash shoe very often and couldbuy a slave flash.

My existing camera is Canon Powershot A80, not enough optical zoom for me. Here in England I can'tlocate the same range of slave fash units.WouldI get a slave flash to suit both the Powershot A80 andPanasonic FZ3?
Christine Braunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:54 AM   #6

As long as 3.2mp works for you, then the only thing you give up by going w/the FZ3 is manual focus. The FZ3 still has the 12x zoom w/IS, but it is a substantially smaller camera. The nice thing is that you can't go wrong with either, but I went with the FZ3 because I just couldn't see carrying around a camera as large as the 20.

A slave flash will work with any camera that has a flash unit.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:53 AM   #7

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
As long as 3.2mp works for you, then the only thing you give up by going w/the FZ3 is manual focus. The FZ3 still has the 12x zoom w/IS, but it is a substantially smaller camera. The nice thing is that you can't go wrong with either, but I went with the FZ3 because I just couldn't see carrying around a camera as large as the 20.
No disrespect but that's kind of misleading... the FZ20 has many more "small" features that are significant. For example, the LCD screen is 2" vs 1.5" so that alone is a big difference IMO...
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:41 PM   #8

Sivaram -

I don't think my statements are misleading. The FZ3 has an LCD panel. Yes, it is smaller, but there is one there, and therefore one does notgive upan LCD by going to the FZ3. I was talking about potentially important things that are completely absent (such as manual focus).

Yes, the FZ20 has small features that are different, but one would expect that, given it is a much larger and more expensive camera.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:22 PM   #9

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
Sivaram -

I don't think my statements are misleading. The FZ3 has an LCD panel. Yes, it is smaller, but there is one there, and therefore one does not give up an LCD by going to the FZ3. I was talking about potentially important things that are completely absent (such as manual focus).

Yes, the FZ20 has small features that are different, but one would expect that, given it is a much larger and more expensive camera.

PhilR.
Well, yeah... but things like 2" LCD, flash hot-shoe, etc can arguably be considered as key features...

Anyway, I don't think I should have used the word 'misleading'. That's not the correct word... I should have toned it down a bit... most of what you are saying is correct (so it's not really misleading); it's just that I think some of these "other" features should be considered.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:56 AM   #10

I'm currently considering upgrading to an FZ20 from my Z2... What will I be giving up? An awesome movie mode that I don't use very often anyway, and 30-second exposures? I've heard the FZ20 can only go to 8 seconds.

Will I be losing anything else?
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote