Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:49 PM   #1

title says it all. it needes to have the ability to go into a manual mode as i want to learn more about photography. compact flash please, as i already have a couple of those lying around. printouts will be no larger than 8x10. looking for an all around camera, it will be used for vacations, ebay pics and me just learning about photography. size isn't really a concern.

any brand except kodak - had a real bad experience with them in the past and won't buy another one of their products in the future.

thanks
bob332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:10 PM   #2

Panasonic FZ3

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:57 PM   #3

The FZ3 takes SD, not CF. He wanted CF.

BTW, I have a Canon S1 IS which takes CF, but I'd like something that gives sharper, less noisy, faster shutter pics especially in very dim light.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:02 PM   #4

You might consider the Canon A95. It takes CF and is an excellent camera. You have to buy batteries and a charger, but that isn't very expensive – Wal-Mart has a fast charger and four 2200mah batteries listed for $18. Thomas Distributing's Maha charger and PowerX battery combos is probably a little better, but not as cheap. Read Steve's review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a95.html

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Canon_...t_A95~S-P~OR-0

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:31 PM   #5

slipe wrote:
Quote:
You might consider the Canon A95. It takes CF and is an excellent camera. You have to buy batteries and a charger, but that isn't very expensive – Wal-Mart has a fast charger and four 2200mah batteries listed for $18. Thomas Distributing's Maha charger and PowerX battery combos is probably a little better, but not as cheap. Read Steve's review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a95.html

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Canon_...t_A95~S-P~OR-0
i was looking at the s60, but that one looks pretty close to the s60, i will need to read the review. thanks
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:42 PM   #6

also, i just recently picked up a canon pixma ip3000(not bad for $80, definately prints as good as the epson photo 780 it replaced), is that pict bridge all it is cracked up to be? if i get a camera that is pict bridge too, could my wife just plug the camera into the printer and print away? or is it a little more complicated than that?

with this stuff pict bridge stuff is it better to have both the same brands or does it really matter? is pict bridge supposed to be a standard?

thanks again

Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:31 PM   #7

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
The FZ3 takes SD, not CF. He wanted CF.

Yeah, but he asked what I would get in a certain price range, and I would get the FZ3. It's one of the best you can get at that price range, and IMO the choice of memory is secondary. Buying a camera based on memory card is kind of silly, at least to me.....

ymmv

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:25 PM   #8

Maybe so if you don't have any memory cards already, but how do I get 1GB + 512MB + 256MB + 128MB + 64MB of standard speed SD or xD for $125 at a local store like Fry's? (I checked what CF cards like mine have sold for on ebay and added it up.) I started with an A70, broke it (but still have it), got an A80 cause I needed a camera while I was waiting for the S1 to come out, then sold the A80 and got the S1. I eyed the FZ10 or similar camera, but I wanted a movie mode and didn't want to spend another $400 on a camcorder which most likely wouldn't have much optical zoom or be very good in shooting very dim light (for example, on a digicam a setting that would require a 5 minute exposure at ISO6400 and F/1.4).
I have a Canon S1 right now, as well as a 1GB and 512MB standard (older) Sandisk CF cards, a 256MB simpletech, a 128MB dane-elec, and a 64MB 12x lexar.
What could I get (including the memory if necessary and I'd want to be able to get at least as many MBs of memory (preferably with a couple large cards rather than a bunch of small ones cause I want to be able to take at least 8 to 10 minutes of highest quality video on one card)) for no more than what I could sell my current equipment for, that would have at least as good of a video or better, and be much better at shooting in low light with fast shutter speeds, and have at LEAST the same optical zoom and at LEAST as bright of a lens? More megapixels would be nice (for extra cropping power) but isn't necessary, although 3 is the minimum.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:17 PM   #9

Since you are looking at the s60, I think I seen the s7000 on the internet for around $360.and thats not a gray market one either. This would be a great camera for that price. It has room for you to grow also. I have the camera and don't have any compliants . Just my little 2 cents

dbrown7
dbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote