Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:27 PM   #1

Features, MP's and zoom aside... which would take a better, crisper picture?? I've used the "Comparometer" with side by side pics from these cameras and am getting a bit cross-eyed! Both sets of pics look great!

I just ordered an FZ3 today but am second guessing my decision a little. The compactness of the W1 is appealing along with that HUGE LCD screen. I know I'd miss out on some zoom though.

I don't plan on enlarging more than an 8x10, want a FAST camera to shoot pics of my kids with a great print photo in the end.

HELP!!!!! :?

maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:52 PM   #2

I want a camera which I can easily take along. So I bought the W1. Can't beat it with the 50 off rebate now too.
f2benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:20 PM   #3

Okay... I've stepped away from the computer and have a little more clarity now.

I've read more reviews about the W1 and some people were complaining about "soft" or "blurry" pictures which turned out to be due to an "overly aggresive noise reduction system" which actually compromises some detail. Isn't it true that the more MP a camera has, the more noise becomes an issue??

I think I'm going to stick with my FZ3 (on order)and have a nice detailed 3.2 MP pic with low noise. I don't need5 MP anyway... not for my purposes. Plus, a nice long zoom on the FZ3 will help honein on my kids during recitals, etc.

But boy, that W1 sure issexy! Big FAT LCD screen that you could practically watch a movie on too.... a yes, it's portable. But the FZ3 isn't too much bigger...

Okay, nice I could have a"coversation with myself" here.

Cananyone confirm these thoughts? Or suggest otherwise?

Thanks...

Maryanne
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:40 PM   #4
smc

I've gone back and forth on what camera I would like and today's dilema is almost exactly like yours. I was comparing the FZ3 to the Sony (w1 and p100)
I think not matter what camera you get ,there will be times when you wished you had the other. Just be happy with what you got. The FZ3 is an awesome camera that takes great pics. I've done blinded side by side photo comparison and always pick the FZ3. I told my wife that it would be nice to take pictures of our boy during school performances and sporting events but she is trying to talk me into portability b/c I have a very nice 35mm SLR and it's sooo big that I haven't used it over 5 yrs. I'm still very torn on the issue and can't make up my mind. So good for you for being decisive. I don't think you'll regret it... much. Be sure to go to the Panasonic forum on this site very active and friendly group. They give lots of good advice and share lots of beautiful pictures.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:43 AM   #5

Thanks SMC...

Let me know you decide too. Has your wife seen the FZ3 in person? It's really small and light for having a decent sized lense.

Take care and thanks for the thoughts...

Maryanne
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:56 PM   #6

maryanne wrote:
Quote:
Okay, nice I could have a "coversation with myself" here.
lol

I'm not too knowledgeable about ultra-compacts but I would guess that the FZ3 has better pic quality than the W1. Ultra-compacts generally have poorer quality and features compared to SLR-like (in terms of size) cameras. For instance, I am pretty certain that red eye is a problem on W1 whereas it will be much better on the FZ3. Where the W1 beats FZ3 is when it comes to compactness, size of LCD, and stuff like that...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote