Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:15 AM   #1

I am thankful for all of you that have posted your opinions. I've studied these boards several times in my quest for a new camera. It has taken me awhile... but I just bought one. And sadly I must warn you about my very frustrating experience.

I purchased a brand new Fuji E550, took 23 photos in 2 settings....

and now it doesn't work!!!! I have taken excellent care of this camera... not a chance for any abuse on my part.

Sure I guess lemons happen... but I'm now concerned about this model. It is being offered with a $50 rebate... hmmm, wonder why they are doing that at Christmas? I go to their online web site for help and this model isn't even listed. I pick the closest model I think there is... maybe the A330... click on warning (error) displays... find the one that says..."Zoom Error":

"If the "!ZOOM ERROR" message is displayed on the digital camera, switch the camera off and on again 2 or 3 times.
If this does not clear the error, take the camera to your nearest FUJIFILM Service Station for testing and repairs."

Now I wonder why they have this listed... does it happen that frequently? And there is nothing else to do but to return it to Fuji?

This camera won on most every check list that I had... size, 2" LCD screen, 6.3 MP, number of photos I could store on card, price... BUT one feature I couldn't predetermine... and that's reliability... and ultimately, as I have just learned today,THAT is the most important feature to me.

Today I face my daughter's Christmas party... with out a new camera... thank heaven for my old one... it's not the greatest... but at least I CAN get some sort of picture!

BACK to the drawing board for me!!!

Good luck on your decisions!

1000words is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:34 AM   #2
Administrator

First of all, are you sure it's not your batteries? You willwant to buy high capacity rechargeable NiMH batteries and a charger for modern digital cameras using AA batteries.

See this article:

Quote:
The first thing a new digicam owner quickly realizes is that those AA alkaline batteries included with their camera are next to worthless. I've gotten many emails from folks who wondered if their cameras were defective because they only got 20 or so shots before the batteries crapped out
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

If you are using high capacity NiMH batteries and still have a problem, then you'll find that other manufacturers aren't perfect either. It's unfortunate, but you do get defective cameras from any manufacturer from time to time. If you search through forum posts, you'll see that users got defective camera from Minolta, Canon, Sony, etc. None of them have a perfect reputation.

If it really is defective (versus you trying to use Alkaline Batteries), then I'd see if your vendor will replace it for you, since itsound likeit's brand new (so that you don't have to send it back to Fuji for repair).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:12 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
First of all, are you sure it's not your batteries? You will want to buy high capacity rechargeable NiMH batteries and a charger for modern digital cameras using AA batteries.
I thought my Olympus E-10 was faulty for months until I was told it was my choice of batteries. I thought buying the best alkaline cells would be ok, but I got 4 or 5 shots before it kept shutting down randomly.

I bought a set of 2000mAh NiMH and I've never looked back.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:23 PM   #4

Thanks Jim C for the support and ideas.

I recharged the new fujifilm batteries last night... hoping that was the problem... it wasn't. I even put in fresh alkaline batteries... still nothing.

Thanks for the head up about the batteries included being duds. I do have another new set of rechargeable batteries I'll try. Isn't it terrible that they would put awful batteries with the camera.

I also bought a bigger memory card, of course. I tried the camera out briefly with the small one... and filled it up real quick like. I thought the camera would be a keeper... so opened the big card. I hope I don't lose that $100 too.

Maybe getting another one would solve my problem... but gettingback my confidence in the camera is another matter. Like I said... lemons happen... but I think it is important to report "lemon" activity... there may be a trend.

This camera comes with a spare terminal cover for the A/V out and D/C in area. It is small and plastic and doesn't attach to the camera. I read report about them getting lost so easily... with nothing to secure or lock it in place. Maybe it's no big deal to have those ports covered?

The good, the bad and the ugly... I appreciate this forum for telling it all!

I'll keep you posted if a miracle occurs!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:33 PM   #5

Thanks Paul... your post must have hit as I was writing my reply!

Just opened Duracell NiMH 2050mAh... 1 hour charger... do you think they are any better?

I'll report back...
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:44 PM   #6
Administrator

1000words wrote:
Quote:
Maybe getting another one would solve my problem... but gettingback my confidence in the camera is another matter. Like I said... lemons happen... but I think it is important to report "lemon" activity... there may be a trend.
I've seen no evidence of a trend with this model (you're the first person I've seen report any kind of a errors with it). Since you got errors after only 23 photos, it's either defective from the factory, or you've got something else wrong like bad batteries or memory card.

If a known good memory card and fully charged NiMH batteries don't solve it, I'd see if the vendor will swap it out for you.

Quote:
This camera comes with a spare terminal cover for the A/V out and D/C in area. It is small and plastic and doesn't attach to the camera. I read report about them getting lost so easily... with nothing to secure or lock it in place. Maybe it's no big deal to have those ports covered?
I think Steve said it best in this post (in reply to someone worried about the cover on the ports on a V50 constantly falling off):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
When I encounter those covers that don't stay in place I usually take a pair of pliars and just rip them off. :shock: Half the cameras out there cover the I/O ports, the other half don't. At most it stops a little dirt from getting in there but it isn't a weather seal, it's mostly just for looks.
Forum Post discussing Port Covers

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:04 PM   #7

1000words wrote:
Quote:
I go to their online web site for help and this model isn't even listed.
Which website did you go to? I checked FujiUSA, FujiUK, and FujiCa and they all list the E550.
subliminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:03 PM   #8

Continuing bad news... other batteries didn't help.

Subliminal... I went to the web site link provided in the Fuji software that came with the camera for help purposes:

http://search.fujifilm.co.jp/di_e/qa_result_form_e.asp

It has drop down boxes for you to click on product category and product name... you can't search without those fields. They have plenty cameras listed... but not the E550... weird.

Guess I'm calling to send it back now.

Hope I don't HAVE to get this one again... it may be a great camera... but once burned... hard to jump back into the same fire.

Anyone want to offer a choice number 2 for me?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:11 PM   #9

Any kind of camera could be DOA in 26 shots - unless you found this problem pervasive, you should get the same camera again, unless you believe your entire belief system is crumbling. If it is a flaw that the camera just breaks, I think it is safe to assume that this is not the norm.

elasticmedia is offline   Reply With Quote