Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:36 AM   #1

Hi guys, just wonderingif anyone could recommenda good buyas a christmas present for the girlfriend.

I would have to say key feautures for the camera would be

Compact (small and very convienient for her handbag)

Good quality, easy to use but still takes great pictures.

Basically takes great pictures, is small, easy to use andlooks slick.

There seem to be so many on the market I dont know where to start. Willing to pay for a good one, just want the a great buy that suits all the above.

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Emile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:49 PM   #2

There are about 500 or so cameras that meet your requirements. Unless you can be a bit more specific about how many megapixels you need, or what kind of shooting she likes to do, or how much you really do or don't want to spend etc., about the only thing we can do is mention our particular favorites, and that may not help at all.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:22 PM   #3

depending on what size prints she would make (if any) i would go with the Canon SD200 or SD300. there arent many manual features on the cameras but i dont think that is a key issue for her. i think that li-ion batteries are better and they hold a charge longer so she wouldnt have to worry about keeping them charged if she would only use it once in a while.

another possibility is a slightly cheaper yet chunkier Kodak LS743. while the overall quality doenst stack up to a Canon Nikon Olympus Sony, and so on... it is still a pretty good and EASY TO USE camera that she may like

post more info so we can help you more
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:26 AM   #4

Hi guys, thanks for both replying.

I was rather vague, apologies for that. Not exactly sure myself. But having given it more thought. This is pretty much the main criteria.

It must look cool (shes a girl, cosmetics are everything) Dont ask

I found the Sony Cybershot P100 on this sight and found it comes in a cool blue and red colour too. Perhaps this is a good option? Seems small too and easy to use.

She is a city girl, so it will be mostly used for pictures of friends and travelling. It must be very easy to use, the kind of thing that works most of it out and still takes great shots. A good flash for night shots (of friends, evenings out, that kind of thing).

It will be used to send pictures to the folks, perhaps print photo size cards on occasion. Nothing spectacular, like A4+ size pictures.

Its not intended to make her a professional photographer, she cant be bothered learning to many complicated things and it cant be big, has to be neat and easily transportable for her day to day activities.

Hope this helps. I had a look at the suggested Canon, seems very cool too, thanks. Would you recommend it over the Sony I mentioned?

And lastly price, I suppose a ballpark figure of 150-250 pounds should do the trick?

Thank guys
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:19 AM   #5

A P-100 would be more than adequate for your gf's needs, and with the possible exception of the Olympus Stylus Verve, is probably the coolest-looking camera going.

I don't know what cameras cost where you are, but for that amount of money over here, you have your choice of about a hundred cameras that would do fine. In fact, for about 100 pounds one can get a nice Sony or Olympus or Nikon, so I think you can easily stay at the lower end of your price range and still get a nice camera. Don't forget you will also need a larger memory card to puchase as well.

Lastly, the 5.1 mp's of the P-100 are probably more than what she needs.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:25 AM   #6

Thanks Phil.

Really appreciate the help.

Its looking like a winner, one more question, I came across the Sony DSC-T1.

It looks incredibly slim and sleek. Do you reckon I still rather go for the 100?

Thanks once again.

ps Good point on upgrading the card.

Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:08 AM   #7
Administrator

Emile wrote:
Quote:
A good flash for night shots (of friends, evenings out, that kind of thing).
I'd suggest you check the flash ranges carefully on the models you consider. You'll find this information in each review's specifications section. For example, the DSC-P100 you're looking at has a ratedflash range of approximately 11.5 feet at it's wide angle lens setting. The flash range will drop down as more zoom is used (because less light reaches the sensor through the lens when using zoom), to around 8 feet at full zoom.

The DSC-T1 you're looking at has a ratedflash range of only 5 feet at it's wide angle lens setting (so it may be a little less using zoom).

As a general rule, the smaller the camera, the more compromises you'll need to make.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote