Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:23 PM   #1

I've been researching and checking prices now for months and i had it down to the panasonic dmc-fz20 or the A2. now it's looking more like i'm going after the A200 or the Nikon 8800. I will mostly be using the camera for architectural photography, outdoor shots mostly, some indoor, and other misc uses. I'm also looking for a descent video recorder for short snippits of buildings. I was impressed with the A200's new video capabilities and now the 8800 comes out with a 10x optical zoom and also has good video capabilities. aarrrghhh! what to do?! I can buy the A200 for less but now that 10x optical zoom looks too good to pass up. I'm concentrating on the 8mb cam's as i just bought the Canon 9900 printer and whould like to take advantage of that 13x19 photographic size. What do you all think?

detroitrustcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:31 PM   #2

I know if I were doing architectural photography, I would want something with a lens that is as wide as possible. I don't know what the widest zoom lens you can get is, but I would seriously consider the Olympus 8080 Wide-Zoom before the Nikon you mentioned. It might be worth your while to check it out....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:49 AM   #3

I don't understand why you would choose the A200 over the A2 right now. It is designed to be a cheaper camera and eventually will be, but right now the prices are higher on the A200. It doesn't have the great high resolution EVF and doesn't seem to focus as well. I can't find information, but I'm not sure the A200 buffers raw shots like the A2. It has a fully articulating LCD but the EVF is fixed. The movies are only 15fps on the A200, and I find that jerky. I would prefer the movies on the A2.

The A2/A200 is a better real estate camera with its 28mm wide than the 8800 with a 35mm wide. You get better interiors and can get the full house with more limited access outside. Stabilization lets you get shots without a tripod in more situations.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:01 PM   #4

I'm not looking for a real estate camera. The main reason i'm buying now is for a trip to Europe next year. I'm going to buy the wide-angle attachment either way so i'm not concerned about the 28 or 35 mm starting point. I'm sure minolta's website states that the A200 will do 640x480 at 30 fps. good enough for me. where are youfinding your data? i won't be using continuous shooting mode very often so data processing is not really relavent. i'm more concerned with image quality and zoom range. i'm really leaning towards the nikon now. thanks for the input.
detroitrustcity is offline   Reply With Quote