Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2004, 12:14 AM   #11

Jim, need more help. You had recommended the Olym. 5060 if I am going to be stitching photos for virtual tours, would I still need a camera of this caliper since the photos will create on larger photo once stiched?
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:39 AM   #12
Administrator

Personally, I would, because you get different perspective from a shorter focal length lens. This can make subjects further away from camera appear to be much further away than subjects closer to the camera (spaced further apart than they would appear with a longer focal length lens).

You willwant to correct for barrel distortion with a wider lens, but that's not too difficult to do with modern tools.

Here is a neat new stitching program you may want to look at:

http://www.autostitch.net/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 7:25 PM   #13

Valkyrie wrote:
Quote:
Jim, need more help. You had recommended the Olym. 5060 if I am going to be stitching photos for virtual tours, would I still need a camera of this caliper since the photos will create on larger photo once stiched?

Say you are making a virtual tour of a two-story tall living room with features like a fireplace that goes to the ceiling and a 2nd story balcony overlooking the living room. With a 27 or 28mm lens you can hold the camera vertically and make a tour that really gets the feeling of the room. It does give extra versatility even for virtual tours.

You often get the front of a house that you can get a much more uncluttered shot of with a wider angle by getting closer. You could stitch 3 vertical shots with a wider angle lens, but it is a lot easier to have a decent wide angle lens in the first place.

Wide angle is usually recommended for real estate photography.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote