Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:16 PM   #1

Looking for a great point and shoot camera with a good zoom. I like the price of the Kodak DX7440 but then you have the docking station that adds almost another 100.00 onto it. What are some other great cameras what take real good pics for 300.00 or under? I am in real estate and will be doing virtual tours with homes, I guess I can splurge and go up to 400.00 if the camera will make a difference but 300 is really where I would like to stay at. Thanks for your help.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:33 PM   #2

Too bad you cant go another 700. Nikon D-70, the dealer said when I purchased it, a Rolls Royce at the price of a Motorcycle. Ive been shooting for 20 years. Ive had large formats, medium formats, 35mms, and a couple digitals. I spent$1200 for the Olympus E-10 when it first came out. That camera practically does nothing compared to the Nikon D-70 at the same price now,that does everything, and is for everything. And is about as complicated to use as an oldfashion can-opener.One heck of an investment:!:
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:17 PM   #3

Well, that does not help me.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:33 PM   #4

Valkyrie wrote:
Quote:
Looking for a great point and shoot camera with a good zoom.

How much zoom? One can get a nice 3x optical zoom p&s for under $150, but 12x zoom will cost a lot more. One does not need to spend near $300 to get "real good pics". Perhaps you could be a bit more specific as to budget, zoom, desired battery or memory type (if any) and expected size of prints (or if you do not plan on making prints).

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:44 PM   #5
Administrator

This topic was discussed a while back (best camera for photographing homes).

If you're trying to sell homes, then you'll want quality photographs of the interiors. A wider angle of view can help there. Also, you may want to consider a model capable of using an external flash. The built in flashes on most models can leave a lot to be desired in getting even illumination of a room.

Personally, I'd spend a little bit more than planned, in order to get better photos to help sell the homes. I can imagine that one home sale from better looking photos would pay for the camera many times over.

Here is a thread discussing the differences in a DSLR model, versus a non-DSLR model for this purpose. Personally, for interiors, I thinka non-DSLR model makes better sense (because you've got dramatically greater depth of field for any given 35mm focal length, focus distanceand aperture, and it's much less expensive to get to get a wider angle of view with add-on lens accessories).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

A model like the C-5060WZ is selling for about $439 and up (I'd personally avoid the firstfew vendors on thelist, and stick with a "trusted" vendor). I'd alsorecommend an external flash and a wide angle converter lens for an even wider field of view.

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Olympu..._5060~S-P~OR-0

You'll find a review of this model here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c5060.html

Note that there are other models with a wider angle of view, too. But, most are going to be evenfurther outside of yourdesired price range.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:51 PM   #6

Jim, thanks so much for your time, makes sense. So is this the one you would recommend? Seems a little "big" how about something on a smaller scale, I can see where your coming from though.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:13 PM   #7
Administrator

Valkyrie wrote:
Quote:
Jim, thanks so much for your time, makes sense. So is this the one you would recommend? Seems a little "big" how about something on a smaller scale, I can see where your coming from though.
I'd go down to a store and tryone out. It's smaller and lighter than the photos of it make it look.

IMO, you really need the wide angle to get good photos of interiors. With a camera starting out at a longer focal length, you have a very difficult time gettingmuch ofa room in the photo (trying to back up into hallways, etc., to get more of it in the frame). So, a model with a wider angle of view can make the rooms look larger by getting more a the room in the image.

The only models that I'm aware of with a wider angle of view are not going to be able to use add-on lens accessories or external flashes (which is something I'd want if I were taking photos of interiors to sell homes).

For example, Canon makes a couple of models starting out at ~ 27mm (Canon Powershot S60 and S70). These are a little smaller, but they're also more expensive and less flexbible (from an add-on perspective).

Konica-Minolta also makes some models that start out at ~ 28mm (DiMAGE A1, A2). But, these are more expensive and larger cameras.

Basically, if I were in your shoes, I'd consider the Olympus C-5060z if I were on a budget. I don't think you'll be able to do any better with anything else close to your price range.

Perhaps others will respond with models I haven't considered. But, I'd go down to a store and see one up close and personal. These are smaller and lighter than they appear in the photographs you see in reviews.

Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:58 AM   #8

Why don't you look at Panasonic FZ3? Though it's listed at $399, it sure is available at $300 and recent reviews suggest it is as good as Kodak DX7590 or Oly C765UZ, both priced more than that.

Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:22 AM   #9

Jim, would you go for the Olympus 5060 or Canon S70 or S60?
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:10 AM   #10
Administrator

I would be inclined to buy a model that supports an external flash like the Olympus.

The built in flashes of these camerasare not really adequate to properly illuminate larger rooms (and if you're using the photos to help sell the homes, you may want them to look their best). ;-)

So, you maydecide to invest in an external flash to help your photos look better.

The Olympus also has anoptional wide angle converter lens to give you an even wider field of view if you find that it's 27mm wide angle lens setting is still too limiting forbest coverage of some rooms.