Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:02 AM   #1

Ok, i'll make this short and sweet, i have the sony dsc t1 right now, its a cool camera, thin, don't even feel it in my pocket, its fast and takes great pictures, when the damn thing focus's properly. The lack of an actual optical zoom annoys me but i got a fantastic deal on this thing, i may turn around and sell it for the DMC if i can find some good reviews on it. I have yet to find any comparisons between these 2 cameras so if some people can chim in with they're opinions please let me know.

I like having a slim camera on me that takes quick and good snapshots. I am very interested in the image stabilization feature of the FX7 since my T1 shots come out quite blurry like 95% of the time and i dont' have shakey hands. When the camera is still or during the day i can grab some pretty good shots. I like taking night shots, i live near NYC and its very colorful and bright and cool around the holidays and i like taking pictures of the tree etc but my night shots don't come out great at all with the T1, i hold the camera as still as humanly possible and still blurry, which once again is why i am interested in the Panasonic.

So which is the better camera? The FX7 has an optical zoom a big screen and IS, whereas the the Sony has no zoom, is a bit smaller and probably faster and has more features.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

-q
qwik3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:21 AM   #2

qwik3r wrote:
Quote:
So which is the better camera? The FX7 has an optical zoom a big screen and IS, whereas the the Sony has no zoom, is a bit smaller and probably faster and has more features.
Last Christmas, my wife got me the T1. This Christmas, I'm getting her the FX7 so she will stop borrowing my wonderful camera!

About 90% of the shots I take are outdoors - ski, golf, etc. About 90% of the shots she takes are indoors - parties, kids, family, etc. The strength of the flash and the IS on the FX7 should make a big difference. Unfortunately, I can't test that for another 17 days.

The question I have is are you sure you have a T1? It does have 3x optical zoom and is actually about 30% heavier than the FX7, although both are tiny.
zzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:07 AM   #3

I don't know how helpful the IS will be with 1x to 3x zoom. Sure, it will have SOME impact but I don't know how good it will be. Usually, IS helps on high-zoom, where tiny movements are amplified and cause all sorts of problems...

I haven't tried IS on these low-zoom cameras so I'm not sure... but my feeling is that they won't be that helpful. If you are shooting at low-zoom, and have steady hands as you claim, then the blurriness is probably due to something else (shutter speed too slow? trying to shoot moving objects? not focused properly?)
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:04 PM   #4

I find stabilization as valuable for wide shots as for a long zoom. You can handhold between 1/4 and 1/6 second at wide according to your technique and how large you want to print, display or crop. You can get a lot of handheld shots you can't without IS. You still get the 2+ f-stop advantage.

There are limits though. You eventually get to the point where you need a tripod even with stabilization. And I personally can't hold the camera as steady framing with the LCD as I can with the optical finder. Neither the T1 nor FZ7 have optical finders.

I like manual exposure controls and an optical finder or I would own a FZ7. Someone pointed out you have to set the ISO for flash shots or it defaults to a high setting.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I made a mistake it does have a 3x optical zoom. I never had a small camera like this, well i had a nikon coolpix but i mean that atleast had a zoom that came out. Everyone raves over the T1 and it is a top seller but i'm just getting annoyed at the picture quality. I am not a professional nor do i really know and or understand manual settings, i am a fast learner and would love to find out, so if there are any digital camera resources out there that can help me with manual settings maybe my T1 won't just become a fancy paper weight. Anyone with the FX7 that can vouche for the IS if its useful or not? Thanks.
qwik3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:40 PM   #6

Your T1 is basically a point and shoot camera. It has no manual exposure or focus. You might experiment with the spot meter and scene modes. Your manual tells you about as much as you need to know about them. Pictures are basically free– just take a lot in the various modes and see what you like in various situations. But do take the time to read the manual.

The T1 has a slow f3.5 lens at wide, although it is a little faster than the FX7 at telephoto. Stabilization is worth at least 2 f-stops and Minolta claims 3. With the half stop faster lens at wide angle you can take a shot in about 1/8 the light using the FX7 compared to the T1. You can probably judge for yourself whether that would be helpful compared to taking someone else's opinion. Stabilization just helps for camera shake and not for subject movement.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 9:08 AM   #7

qwik3r wrote:
Quote:
any digital camera resources out there that can help me with manual settings
I've taken a couple of thousand pictures with my T1 with 99% of them being on full auto. When the light is good, the pictures are great. Below is one from a Nascar race - blur is not an issue, even with fast moving objects. (This picture is fuzzy only from compression to post it here.) I've also used the camera while riding rollercoasters, helicopters and other moving/bouncing vehichles with excellent success.

There are 3 main types of blurry pictures from what I've seen. #1 Out of Focus- this is when the camera picks the worng thing to focus on - like a fence instead of the tiger on the other side of the fence. The T1 as good a job on focus as any camera I've owned. #2 Motion blur - this is the T1 achilles heel in poor lighting. Regardless of the settings, the camera uses a slow shutter speed to compensate for the lighting and it is impossible to hold the camera steady enough or have the people you are shooting stay steay enough. For example, I was never able to get a single decent night shot on the streets of Disney World. #3 Sudden camera shake - this is what IS can help. When you have a little camera like this, it tends to rotate when you press the shutter. These pictures look like there are "ghost" images.

One bit of advice - you can get a clamping tripod. I was able to take a bunch of very good fireworks shots using a $10 tripod I found on eBay that is intended to be used with camera phones.
Attached Images

zzcar is offline   Reply With Quote