Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:05 AM   #1

Hi there,

I want to 'ask Santa' for a decent camera for concert photography. The camera would also be my everyday snapper - so portability is a consideration.

Here are previous images I have taken with my current P&S 2MP, 3x zoom Fuji: http://www.voicesuk.net/gallery.html

I have been told that a high F value is important the Canon goes from 2.0-3.0 with 4x zoom, while the Panasonics are constant 2.8 with 10x zoom.

I don't know whether I would need the FZ20 or if the features of the FZ3 would be sufficient. The Canon is the most expensive too!

I need to print up to A4.

HELP!
K x
LittleKezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:03 AM   #2

No-one?
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:30 AM   #3
Administrator

You'll see this recent thread in the list discussing concert photography. Chances are, you may not be satifisied with the results in poorly lit venues unless you are within the flash range and can use a flash:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=87&page=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:37 AM   #4

I'd say that with concerts, and an ultra zoom would have a hard time to lock focus and flash is basically useless over that range.

The best cameras would still be film ones and even these might have problems.

As what JimC said, the only way would be to get close enough within flash range. And hope there is not too much movements when shooting.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:41 AM   #5

I've been following that thread, but I have decided not to go to dSLR yet. I simply cannot justify the cost as I am just learning about making manual settings on a camera.

So I am not going to be as picky as more experienced usuers. I'm very pleased with the shots I included, but would like to find something that could do something reasonable with the flash off too.

The shows are generally well lit and I am close. I would like your thoughts on these and other similarly priced cameras.

Thanks,

K x
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:47 AM   #6

No matter what camera you buy, you are going to have a problem with the - insufficient - built in flash. The Panasonic is quoted, for example, as having a maximum range of 15ft, or 5 yds, which is nowhere near sufficient in itself, despite the lens being F2.8 throughout. The problem with this camera is that while it is great outdoors, it is not going to produce satisfying results in concert conditions, so I would recommend you more towards theKonica Z2in the same price and megapixel range because you can add a more powerful flash, which you can't do with the Panasonic. Having image stabillisation will do you no good indoors because the shutter speed will be so slow at extended zoom that the photo will be blurred by movement. I think that if you think hard you will see where I am coming from. Buy the Konica and add a more powerful flash for concert use - that way you will have a fast shutter speed to capture the image and also a well lit image into the bargain. I hope this helps.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:25 AM   #7

I hope to make myself clear - it is the object rather than the camera movement that will render the picture blurred. The slow shutter speed will leave the lens open for perhaps half a second, which will be too much.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:50 AM   #8

If you are close enough (and don't need the high-zoom), the Canon G6 may be the best. It still won't be that great but maybe it will help. The only problem is that if you want F2 on the G6, you basically have to shoot at wide-angle (i.e. 1x zoom).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 5:43 PM   #9

The FZ20 has a flash rated at 23 feet throughout the zoom range and a hot shoe and f2.8 at full zoom and stabilization. The hot shoe is generic so you can get a decent automatic flash unit with a zoom head that will reach out to over 50 feet for $75.

The Minolta Z2 has a proprietary hot shoe that limits you to dedicated units. One that will reach that far is quite pricey. The internal flash only reaches to 15 feet zoomed out and it is almost an f-stop slower for available light at zoom ranges than the FZ20. One advantage of the Z2 is that the LCD gains up in lower light where the FZ20 doesn't. Should be no problem either way with a brightly lit stage. The Z2 is also more compact.

I don't agree that stabilization is completely useless for concert photos. If everyone is jumping around at once you don't have much of a chance of hitting a moment of null movement. But with the terrific burst mode on the FZ20 you have a chance of getting that null moment sometimes. The drummer's hands might be blurred and maybe some hands on instruments, but I have seen decent pictures with the stabilization. And the performers often freeze at the end of a piece to let everyone know it is over. If there is bright stage lighting you can get some available light shots with stabilization you can't get without it. You just have to choose your moments and use the burst.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote