Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:42 PM   #1

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a digital camera within a budget of $350. I want something that is going to take great pictures and won't get outdated too quick. While I am not an aspiring photographer and will mostly be using the camera to take pictures cars, people, for travel and just having a solid camera for all around use. I am also however interested in taking some artistic type photos of nature and such. I don't really think I need any advanced features as I will probably never use them, but as I get more experienced I may desire to use some of the more slightly advanced features. I having been looking at cameras for under $350 and I have heard good things about Canon and Nikon cameras. So I found a model from each that is just under my budget ($320 for the Canon, $330 for the Nikon). I am pretty sure that I will be purchasing one of these two cameras so firstly I was looking on some advice as to which you think is better? The Canon seems to have received more favorable reviews on both of the sites below; it also seems to have a few more features over the Nikon (flip out lcd, manual focus and exposure) along with being able to hold more photos as it comes with a 32mb card (which I will probably upgrade anyway). The Nikon does have recharable batteries however, but the Canon seems to be rated as having excellent battery life and I could always buy a battery charger. Secondly although I think that I will end up with one of these two cameras as they both got good ratings, seem like a good deal and seem to fit my needs, I am also open to other suggestions within my budget. Since I am new to the world of digital cameras I do not know too much about them so I greatly appreciate any advice on which camera I should purchase as I want to get the best deal for my money, thanks.

Crutchfield Comparison Chart of the Canon A-95 and Nikon 5200

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bYGv4u3...00=on&x=37&y=4

Canon A-95 Reviews

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona95/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A95/A95A.HTM

Nikon 5200 Reviews

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5200/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP5200/CP52A.HTM
Matt_Smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:59 PM   #2

Well I am pretty sure that I am going to go with the A95, I can get it for $300 and there does not seem to be a better camera (unless you want an ultra compact) for this price.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 4:32 PM   #3

As an owner of the A95, I truly recommend it, it takes great photos and has many features, great battery life.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"But if your budget if of 350$ and u get it for 320, then u will most likely break ur budget. You have to consider the memory card, at least 1 set of 4 rechargeable batteries and possibly a charger.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Canon also makes the A75 and A85 which might also suit your needs... Actually if the A95 does, the other 2 will probably too. All of the 3 can print pics which will be printable in size of 8x10, and will yield very good results at the very least. Having less megapixels is not a bad thing, unless you want to print big and/or do lots of cropping. The A75/85 have 1 advantage over the A95 and that is to have a slightly wider wide angle, 35mm vs 38. Also, 3mp pictures take less memory space and thus you can store more, on the 32mb card supplied with the cameras, 5mp = 11pics, 3mp = 18pics. That means about 60% more pictures on the same card.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Besides that, don't neglect the quality of the charger/batteries you buy. You shouldn't regret getting an A series camera!
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:43 PM   #4

Thanks for the input Nicolas,

I have already considered the fact that I will need to buy an additional larger capacity memory card along with a battery charger, which is fine, the $350 was for just the camera. I was actually originally considering the A85 but I figured that the A95 is worth the extra $50 over it as I think the swivel screen is really neat as well as the mega pixel increase. Anyway good to hear from a satisfied A95 owner!
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:29 PM   #5

I realize you not considering these but have a look at the DSC-V1 or the Nikon 5400. They are both for less than $299.

For the Nikon Coolpix 5400, there is a $200 rebate right now

They are both more advanced than either the A95 or the Nikon $399 or the Nikon 5200 $450 if you compare the cost.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote