Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:15 PM   #1

I have read a bunch of reviews about all three of these cameras Cannon Powershot S60, Cannon Powershot A95 and the Fuji FinePix E550 they all seem to think they are great cameras.

What I am looking for is a good intermediate camera. I took photography in college using a film SLR so I understand how to tweak setting on a camera and I would like to be able to do this on a smaller camera.

I would like something that isn't going to "think" for me too much. I have a film camera like that now that prevents me from taking certain more creative shots and it is frustrating.

I am also interested in the cameras of this size since they can be taken with you fairly easily.

I am also looking in the under $400 price range.

Thoughts on the cameras I have looked at? Any that you think I should look at?

Thanks,
Jamie
satelite21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:12 AM   #2

i might be biased about this but overall i would pick the A95.
i've had all the models from A40, A60, A75 and then to the G5.
the powershots aren't perfect but they sure can do a lot. what i like the most is the manual mode and of course the picture quality.
the A95 being a 5mp with great picture quality and very compact. yeah, i would choose it again.
oh and wait, the view screen at the back folds out. which is very very convenient for placing the camera down below without having to get on the ground.

buy it and get an extra memory card it will inspire you.
berto
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:50 AM   #3

I would also suggest the A95, its a very good camera... I own it for 2 months now and really appreciate what it can give me. The S60 is also a very good choice, its a little more compact and has a wider wide angle which is interesting, it has RAW and the size may or may not suit you, for me it wasn't what I liked.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As for the E550, on paper it looks like a great camera, but its not that great, first of all, its a Fuji so it gives very compressed JPEG pictures, so it adds artifacts if youprint larger. It isn't very good in low light situation and uses the xD cards. I considered it when buying my A95 and didn't felt in love with it, despite the better wide angle, better telephoto, bigger LCD and better movie mode(I think).
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:20 PM   #4

Thanks for all of your opinions.

Is there anyone who disagrees with getting the a95?

Thanks again,
Jamie
Old Dec 15, 2004, 6:03 AM   #5

Ifthe "point and shoot" quality is important to you i'd rather take theE550.

A95 needs 0,9 sec from button-pressed to captured image, the S60 is with 1sec even worse, while the E550 needs half a second.
Klausl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 8:58 AM   #6

Think hard about the lens. The S60, unlike most digicams, has a starting point of 28mm, which is wide angle and very useful. For that reason I would choose it over the others. It has complete manual, shutter priority and aperture priority control which you want and is pretty small. I don't have it, but I agree that the S60 makes more sense than the S70 for most people, since the extra megapixel won't make a difference in printing up to A4 size at all.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:58 AM   #7

I think if you do a search, there is another thread somewhere about the s70 vs s60 - in that thread it was reported the image quality in the s70 was better than that in the s60 (not because of the extra mp per se). Just might be worth a look - I think JimC was the one who was pointing this out.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:30 PM   #8

Thanks for all of your opinions. I decided to go with the A95.

Jamie