Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:52 PM   #1

I've been looking for a good digital camera for some time that can record more than 30 seconds of video at 640x480 at 30fps (w/audio). I thought the Canon A95 would do 3 minutes (according to their spec), but it turned out it was only 30 seconds and limited to 10fps (down from 15fps on the A75). I considered the S1 IS, but discovered it didn't have an AF Illuminator. I just read about the SD300, but I was looking more in the compact range (though if the review had been a little better, I'd go for that one).

I'm not hooked on Canon, so any suggestions are appreciated. Also, I've got some SD and Compact Flash cards so that's a plus (unless you have a reason one is better than another). I would also prefer one that records in AVI or MPEG format rather than MOV.

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and would really like to find something to take on my trip. I know your going to say "get a camcorder", but I never shoot more than afew minutesof video so the camera part is more important.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Nautme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:43 PM   #2

I started a thread All 30fps 640x480 video capable cameras that covers most of the issues you are asking about (I don't have a listing of what memory card they use, but I could easily add that). The first post is the most important one since I keep updating it to list all the camera that can do this. Some of my later posts go into what format they use and other issues like time limitations. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...98&forum_id=87
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:00 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll check it out. I wish a site let you search by video specifications.
Nautme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:12 PM   #4

I can't say enough about my Olympus UZ770. So easy to use in auto and features abound if you want to take control. Video quality really quite good, and sound is not that terrible at all. Limited only by the size of your memory card. Here's a random recent shot stright out of the camera-- set in auto-- and here's a link to a very small (for streaming) sample video:
Good luck and happy buying!

http://home.comcast.net/~scotious/Rosie.mov
Attached Images

Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:47 AM   #5

Scotious wrote:
Quote:
I can't say enough about my Olympus UZ770...
Are you talking about the Olympus C-770? I'm not finding any listings for the camera you quoted.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:52 PM   #6

Yes- the C-770 UltraZoom.
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:15 AM   #7

look at the pentax optio 750z
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote