Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:20 PM   #1

looking to buy my dd a digicam. small, decent zoom, video would be cool but not required. 3-4mp would be nice, i have a fuji so would like to share xd cards. buying for xmas (have many stores to buy from, targart, walmart, best buy etc). any ideas? I would like to keep cost as low as possible.
cranfordrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 1:05 AM   #2

olympus stylus 300

-li-ion batt
-xD
-3x optical zoom
-water-resistant (NOTE: not completely water-proof, dont swim with it)
-pocketable
-movie mode (nothing spectacular)
-about $200-220 at BestBuy

lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:43 AM   #3

If your daughter is the typical 13 year old who might one day announce that she has left the camera "somewhere", cost should definitely be the #1 consideration. Wal-Mart's online site has the Olympus D-540 for less than $165 including shipping.I'd look at the Fuji E500, also. It's probably comparably priced. If the Fuji A210 hasn't been discontinued, you can probably pick one up for less than $150. It's perfectly suitable for anyteenager I've ever known.

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:00 AM   #4

I just checked Best Buy's web site. They have the Fuji A330, which probably replaces the A210, for $150. The Olympus Stylus 300 is $220. The Oly D-540 is $180, and the Oly D535 is $150.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:48 AM   #5

nikon coolpix 3700
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 8:40 AM   #6

I don't know how much longer Wolfcamera.com will be selling the Fuji A330 at this price, but they currently have it for $134. I ordered one for my son yesterday. It is on Steve's wish list on the main page and his full review of the camera seems pretty good. What I liked about the camera, other than the price , is that it has a cover that slides in front of the lens when not in use to protect the lens. I believe the body is metal and although I had read some comments by posters they felt the body felt flimsy, I did not get that impresssion when I went to feel it at a local store. It didn't feel the most durable I admit, but I think strong enough.

Oh by the way, if you get it from wolfcamera.com, their shipping is free (they advertise 5 to 7 days which ought to be enough time for Chistmas if you order within the next few days I would think) and they do not charge tax so your walkout price is the $134

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote