Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:37 AM   #1

hey folks, I'm in the market for a new camera as my minolta dimage 7hi just isn't cutting it anymore. while the minolta is great if I have the time to stand around and tweak out my shots, it's not good for on the fly shooting (for action shots), and the auto focus is basically useless. anyway, I'm looking for something with a lot of manual control but with excellent auto focusing as well (which the minolta lacks). I've been thinking of a canon g5 (my other camera is an a10) because I really like canons, but any other suggestions are welcome.

thanks!
fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:54 AM   #2
Administrator

fresh wrote:
Quote:
hey folks, I'm in the market for a new camera as my minolta dimage 7hi just isn't cutting it anymore. while the minolta is great if I have the time to stand around and tweak out my shots, it's not good for on the fly shooting (for action shots), and the auto focus is basically useless.
The DiMAGE models in this series tended to have better than average Autofocus. The newer Ax models are a little faster. Try resetting your camera to factory defaults. I've heard users mention that sometimes a reset would cure an autofocus problem with the 7x series.

You'll see the Reset Default option shown under Setup, Adv 2on the Playback Menu Review page here (Scroll down to Setup Menu):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...ge7hi_pg5.html

To do aa lotbetter than your 7Hi, you'll probably need to go with a DSLR. The new Canon EOS-20D is probably the fastest in the under $2k category (it's around $1,500.00 now), probably followed by the Nikon D70 (under $1,000.00 now).

But, make sure you have a fast focusing lens on one (i.e., USM lens for a Canon, or AF-S lens for a Nikon). Sigma HSM lenses also focus fast, and are available in mounts for Nikon, Canon, and other popular manufacturers. These lens types (Nikon AF-S, Canon USM and Sigma HSM) havefast, quiet focus motors built in. Make sure you buy a bright enough lens for the lighting conditions, too (cameras will struggle with a slower lens in lower light).

Quote:
Anyway, I'm looking for something with a lot of manual control but with excellent auto focusing as well (which the minolta lacks). I've been thinking of a canon g5 (my other camera is an a10) because I really like canons, but any other suggestions are welcome.
The G series Canons are not known to have fast AF (especially in lower light). Your 7hi should do better. I'd also make sure you've got the latest firmware installed (1.01 on your 7Hi). You'll see where to download instructions (which will include how to check your version), once you click on a firmware download link. Here is the U.S. firmware.

Software and Firmware Download Page for DiMAGE 7Hi

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:27 AM   #3

thats a tall order andthe G5 will not fill it. speed is ok but forget action. if your stuck on a canon start looking a a Pro1 if you're staying in the digicam area. they basically copied the 7/A series minoltas and put their 2 cents in. i sold my 7Hi and had regretted it. if filled in a lot of gaps where my 1Dmk2 and 1Ds (now 1Dsmk2)just aren't appropriate. so i went and got a A1. it goes with me all the time when the others are just too big and heavy. as far as the AF goes your not getting much faster there only the A2 is a hair faster. try using the custom AF capability where you can move the AF point any where on the image and keep it centered. low light af is still the best too. after that your going into a Dslr and thats a whole new and different realm.

this is J Travoltas plane N707JT never would have got it because i wasn't deliberately carrying around a camera.

Date/Time
09-Dec-2004 14:37:38

Make
Minolta

Model
DiMAGE A1

Flash Used
No

Focal Length
7.2 mm

Exposure Time
1/400 sec

Aperture
f/7.1

ISO Equivalent

Exposure Bias

White Balance

Metering Mode
matrix (5)

JPEG Quality
(6)

Exposure Program
program (2)

Focus Distance

it helped having a real wide angle too. that 28mm equivelent is great vs the G5 35mm. you also loose on the top end too 200mm for the minolta 140mm for the canon.

ergonomically the 1D series cameras are well lacking. it takes 2 sometimes 3 steps to do what a nikon D series generally does in 1 step. my reasons are FF or close to that for an slr. i like wide angle.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 3:47 PM   #4

I tried resetting the camera and it hasn't made a difference.the autofocus workssometimes when I'm shooting something closeup but if I'm trying to get say...the ocean with mountains in thebackground it doesn't work at all. switching to manual focus set on infinity for these shots just come out blurry half the time (with the camera set to P). I have the latest firmware as well.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
fresh wrote:
Quote:
hey folks, I'm in the market for a new camera as my minolta dimage 7hi just isn't cutting it anymore. while the minolta is great if I have the time to stand around and tweak out my shots, it's not good for on the fly shooting (for action shots), and the auto focus is basically useless.
The DiMAGE models in this series tended to have better than average Autofocus. The newer Ax models are a little faster. Try resetting your camera to factory defaults. I've heard users mention that sometimes a reset would cure an autofocus problem with the 7x series.

You'll see the Reset Default option shown under Setup, Adv 2on the Playback Menu Review page here (Scroll down to Setup Menu):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...ge7hi_pg5.html

To do aa lotbetter than your 7Hi, you'll probably need to go with a DSLR. The new Canon EOS-20D is probably the fastest in the under $2k category (it's around $1,500.00 now), probably followed by the Nikon D70 (under $1,000.00 now).

But, make sure you have a fast focusing lens on one (i.e., USM lens for a Canon, or AF-S lens for a Nikon). Sigma HSM lenses also focus fast, and are available in mounts for Nikon, Canon, and other popular manufacturers. These lens types (Nikon AF-S, Canon USM and Sigma HSM) havefast, quiet focus motors built in. Make sure you buy a bright enough lens for the lighting conditions, too (cameras will struggle with a slower lens in lower light).

Quote:
Anyway, I'm looking for something with a lot of manual control but with excellent auto focusing as well (which the minolta lacks). I've been thinking of a canon g5 (my other camera is an a10) because I really like canons, but any other suggestions are welcome.
The G series Canons are not known to have fast AF (especially in lower light). Your 7hi should do better. I'd also make sure you've got the latest firmware installed (1.01 on your 7Hi). You'll see where to download instructions (which will include how to check your version), once you click on a firmware download link. Here is the U.S. firmware.

Software and Firmware Download Page for DiMAGE 7Hi

fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 5:07 PM   #5
Administrator

fresh wrote:
Quote:
I tried resetting the camera and it hasn't made a difference.the autofocus workssometimes when I'm shooting something closeup but if I'm trying to get say...the ocean with mountains in thebackground it doesn't work at all.
Reflections from the Ocean could be fooling the AF. I'd make sure to use the center focus point and focus on an area with lots of contrast in the background.

Quote:
switching to manual focus set on infinity for these shots just come out blurry half the time (with the camera set to P). I have the latest firmware as well.
It is my understanding that you can focus past infinity with your model. So, don't go by the Infinity Mark on the focus ring when using Manual Focus.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote