Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:56 AM   #1

I want to buy a reasonably-priced super-zoom camera for amateur family use (maybe to graduate to entusiast use). I'm not happy with 3X zoom on my 2mp Fuji, and I want video with sound available. Shooting indoors in low light may also be an issue (school and church programs, etc). Am leaning toward Panasonic FZ3, but KM Z3 and Canon S1 IS also get good reviews. To me, the Panasonic 3.2mp sample shots look as good as the KM 4mp - any thoughts? Ease of use is a minor issue, as I'm willing to read and experiment, but ease of picture composition in spontaneous situations is important.

I appreciate any help. :?
Waffle King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 6:53 PM   #2

Having more megapixels doesn't really make the pic better (especially when the difference is only 0.8MP). What the higher MP gives is the ability to crop or print out a larger pic. Other than that, I personally wouldn't consider MP to impact image quality in any positive manner.

The Panasonic FZ3 has the best pic quality, and is definitely the best for low-light situations. The Panasonic can keep its aperature at F2.8 throughout its zoom, wheras the other ones have to reduce the aperature as you zoom (this is not good). Panasonic also has 12x zoom, vs the 10x on Canon.

The Canon and the Konica Minolta have better video modes. The Panasonic video is just bare-bones and isn't good enough for television IMO (I mean, you can still play it but it won't be that great).

If you don't care about video then the FZ3 is your best bet. But if you care about video, then it's tougher and you have to decide which one is better for you. The Canon totally sucks in low-light (it doens't have an AF-assist lamp) so you may not want that.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 6:12 AM   #3

I would disagree about the FZ3 having 'best pic quality'. S1 IS has that rather handily.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 8:48 AM   #4

dequardo wrote:
Quote:
I would disagree about the FZ3 having 'best pic quality'. S1 IS has that rather handily.
S1 IS pics are soft (although some claim that Canon leaves it up to the user to sharpen them)... and if I'm not mistaken, FZ3 can resolve higher resolution as well. Here is a comparison of the two (note: the two weren't tested at the same time so there is some concern but it is minor IMO):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz3/page6.asp

Here is a resolution comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz3/page8.asp

Having said all that, Canon may be better in bright light (i.e. sunny outdoors). Some of the Canon outdoor pics that I've seen are really good...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5

I've been looking at the Pana FZ3 and Cannon S1 SI too. From reading here it looks like the FZ would be a better choice for me but I'm a little over whelmed with the model choices.

I'm gardener and use my camera almost daily in the garden, ...pics of flowers, bugs, butterflies ect. Lots of close up images but I also want an extended zoom w/IS, for wildlife,and the ability to take low light images for decent night shots. Image quality is a must... as well as ease of use. I'm not anexpert photographer. I rarely print images so the lower resolution of the FZ3 is fine for my needs. I'm dazed and confused about some of the other differences in the FZ modelscomapred to the range in price. I would fork over the xtra $ if I thought the FZ15 or FZ20 wasworthit to me but I'm not so sure it is.
poppysue is offline   Reply With Quote