Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:17 PM   #1

and please can anyone give me a reply this week, coz i want it for christmas :G
riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:42 PM   #2

We would need to know what your needs are. Both cameras are very good and maybe that they'd be good enough for you.

But what sort of use do you plan to make out of it ? What sort of conditions will you photograph ? What size will you print ? Will you crop ? Do you need the camera to be quite compact ? Tell us what you need and we'll tell u what to buy.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:45 PM   #3
rp3

What are your interests: have you been in photography before?

Does size of the cameramatter? The sony weighs less

Video? The sony is stronger here

Have you considered what size memory card you want (price it into the total camera cost)? Compact Flash (canon) is much less expensive.

Have you checked out the sample images on Steve's review of both camera? Some people just plain like Canon color better (say... me) and some like Sony's better

rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:18 AM   #4

well it's like this. i am an amateur photographer and i used only classical SLR film cameras since now
i want to buy a digital one too to make the step to digital photography
can't afford a digital SLR camera, so i will stick with a "family" type one
both cameras are around 300 USD and that's perfect. also they'r both at approx 5 MP and have 3X optical zoom, which is great.

this is the big picture, and now let's see my requirements:
1. photographic quality at high and low resolutions
2. creativity (manual presets like auto-focus, apperture, exposure, shutter speed, etc)
3. durability, fiability, resistance (want to work in snowy winters and steamy summers; will last for at least 5 years)

want to use a 256 or 512 MB flash drive, i can spend only about 100 USD on the flash memory.
don't really care about video performance.
that's all i can think of about now.
riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:15 PM   #5
rp3

Sony-wise, I think you'd be better off with the DSC-V1 from Sony. It's has better manual options (the W1 is more of a P100 in a larger body). They are the same price.

As to memory... $100 US for 256 to 512... my good man... you should not touch that amount. A 512 Memory stick pro should be about $80 shipped. A 512 MB compact flash (no name high speed) should set you back about $40 shipped.

As to the lasting 5 years... I got into digital photography6 years ago... with a camera that took a maximum picture size of 756x504 (Kodak DC50). It was the most expensive digital camera I ever bought. It continued to work when I sold it and seemed as though it would have lasted to this day. My cell phone today has the same functionality in 3.4 oz (which I would never use) as my old camera did. The camera will last... but the technology may be outdated in 2009.

The A95 takes an amazing picture. One of my friends in the dorm got one and I was impressed. I wasn't so hot on it being a larger camera but that's a personal preference. I read the reviews on megapixel.net. I like them because they attempt to give numerical scores to photographic quality. Both of your camera choices would give a superior picture and high quality.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:59 PM   #6

riot wrote:
Quote:
this is the big picture, and now let's see my requirements:
1. photographic quality at high and low resolutions
2. creativity (manual presets like auto-focus, apperture, exposure, shutter speed, etc)
3. durability, fiability, resistance (want to work in snowy winters and steamy summers; will last for at least 5 years)

want to use a 256 or 512 MB flash drive, i can spend only about 100 USD on the flash memory.
Well,
1. IMO the Canon A95 outperforms the W1 in the image quality department.
2. both have manual controls and also auto-focus, but the W1 only provides two f-stops.
3. I dont know nothing about it......maybe old users of those cameras can give you some information.

The Sony V1 is also very cheap, around $300.00 - this camera has tons of manual controls, and additionally comes with hot-shoe for mounting external flash.....between A95 and V1 - I lean towards the latter....though, the image quality on the A95 IMHO looks better.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:06 AM   #7

If you are an amateur photographer, you really should stay away from the ultra-compacts (eg. Canon W1) and I would try to stay away from the compacts (Canon A95) too (although the compacts are good for all-around use). I'm assuming that you, like all amateur photographers, don't care about size. What you should go for is a mid-end prosumer or a mid-end ultra-zoom or something like that. THESE ARE LARGER but they have pretty much all the manual controls you would want. The ultra-compacts and most of the compacts may be a bit too lacking for an aspiring photographer.

You can get an old prosumer, such as the Sony V1 that posters mentioned above, or perhaps an older Canon like G5 or something like that. Another option is to go for a low-end ultra-zoom. You can get a brand-new Panasonic FZ3 or Canon S1 IS or KM Z3 or whatever for around $350 (after purchasing all the accessories (memory cards, batteries, etc) it will total around $400). But I think the extra $100 is worth spending if you are really into photography.

If you really want to stick to smaller sized cameras, the A95 is much better than the Sony W1. The Sony is an ultra-compact, and hence like most ultra-compacts, is lacking manual control, options, and stuff like that. The A95 gives you way more control and is tailored for those that like photography. Having said that, *I* really really really like the Sony W1. It has a big LCD, decent pics for an ultra-compact and is realtively cheap. I would get the W1 if I wasn't looking for a serious camera and instead was looking for something that is portable, can be carried everywehre, and is convenient.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote