Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:25 PM   #1

Recently looking at Best Buy for a new camera, not that I am limited to them for shopping, but I enjoy their service plans on electronic devices. I have been comparing the 2 cameras very closely, checking their specifications, but was wondering if anyone had any other feedback, good and bad. I like that the Nikon has Sunset modes and whatnot, considering mostly what I will be taking pictures of is sunsets. However, I am also doing some moving shots, i.e. out the car window, and didn't know if either camera would be better suited for this. The Nikon also has a mode called Firework show, never even heard of this or how it works. But I also like to take pictures of cars at night when I am at car shows. If anyone has any feedback on the better choice, let me know. I also have about 2GB worth of memory that will fit the Canon, but I'm willing to sarcrifice that if the Nikon 5.1 is a better choice than the Canon 7.1.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Coz

edit: I also noticed that the Canon has a 28mm wide lense, and the Nikon has a 23mm, was wondering how this would effect the photo quality.

Cozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:39 PM   #2

Cozma wrote:
Quote:
I also have about 2GB worth of memory that will fit the Canon, but I'm willing to sarcrifice that if the Nikon 5.1 is a better choice than the Canon 7.1.*
Coz
The Nikon 5200 is miles away from the S70, I mean, definitively it is NOT a better choice than the S70.

Quote:
edit: I also noticed that the Canon has a 28mm wide lense, and the Nikon has a 23mm, was wondering how this would effect the photo quality.
You are wrong, the Nikon 5200 has a 38-114mm lens, NOT 23mm
the wide angle (28mm) on the S70 is awesome for a such small camera (I said small, NOT tiny)
the S70 has FULL manual controls and very high quality images...IMO it's the small version of the G6, since share the same features but the wide lens.
Thats all, go for the S70....you wont regret....take advantage of your 2GB cards.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:40 PM   #3

Now does Wide angle mean all the pictures will come out elongated like they are on this person's page where it says they used wide angle? (first 4 pictures) or can you adjust it to take them either perspective?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

http://www.pbase.com/samcheri/skies&page=2
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:17 PM   #4

I'm bumping this thread up because this is a question I -really- want answered. I'm confused as to the difference between wide angle and regular lenses and their effects on the photos you take.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:21 AM   #5

wide angle is just that the lens sees more at each side. Take any zoom camera and as you zoom in the object gets closer but the field of view narrower. Wide angle lenses on small cameras are pretty rare, Nikon having it on one or two models, Olympus on the 5060, and Canon on the S60 and 70. If most of your photography is going to be family and friends and holiday snaps then the wide angle is for you. It can also be very creative. When you are indoors trying to take a group photo often you can't get everyone in the shot, but with the S70 you will easily be able to. It doesn't distort like a fisheye lens, where we are talking 17mm, just gives you more facility for your money. I would certainly go for the Canon S70 over the Nikon.

One last thing. I think the Nikon has an optical viewfinder but there are many Nikons that have an LCD electronic one. If the latter avoid like the plague cause it doesn't work in low light conditions.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 7:42 AM   #6

Do we think this is a good camera for taking pictures of sunsets? Because that is what my main use for it will be.

I own the camera now, but I'm away and not able to take pictures of the sunsets on the beach in Florida where I live. Need to know if it's a keeper ;3
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:41 PM   #7

Really this depends on whether you want to take just the sun as it sets and the local surrounding clouds/effects, or you wish to fram the sunset with a palm tree etc. Getting a "close up" of the sunset will need a long lens and for that a Canon G6 or such would be much beyyer, having wide aperture as well. But for framing a shot with other things in, the beach, trees, etc the S70 would do nicely. Just take a shot or two and see if the effect is pleasing and you will know, then you can make up your mind. Without more definition it is difficult to give a real anseswer I am afraid.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 2:51 PM   #8

www.cozma.net/gallery

Click on Atmosphere

Those are the kinds of shots I will be taking.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:39 AM   #9

You certainly have a talent, but down there on the Gulf of Mexico you also have the beaches and weather. I remember shooting lightning about 15 years ago there, and that was fun. I think you could benefit. to help you progress, from a better lens that those talked about in the Canon S70 and Nikon 5200. If the size isn't that important have you thought about a Canon G6? This has good aperture throughout and a good zoom to help you compose pictures too. But bases on your original question, I would without doubt go for the S70. Lovely camera.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:26 AM   #10

The examples of wide angle shots you posted are either cropped or several shots stitched together. A Wide angle lens keeps the same 4:3 ratio as any other shot. It doesn't just add to the sides but increases the view in all directions. This is a 28mm shot I just happened to have online:

It would lose a lot with a normal 35-38mm lens.

In many situations I can simulate a wide angle lens on cameras without one by holding the camera vertically and taking 2 or 3 panorama shots. But if you want to stand in front of the Don Cesar and shoot sunsets out over the water that method doesn't work too well. The waves on the water are in a different place for the two shots and you can see where they are stitched. The only way to get that wide vista over water is with a real wide angle.

I think a couple of my cameras might have gee-haws like a sunset mode. I've never used it and never will. I've always been a big advocate of a spot meter. I used it extensively with 35mm for situations like sunsets and still do with digital – probably more. You not only vary the exposure by pre-metering on different parts of the scene, but you also change the white balance. Photos are free with a digital camera. If you see a sunset you like just take a dozen pictures metered in different ways. Just don't go cheap on the memory card.

I think the S70 is probably a keeper. If you view the pictures 100% where you have to scroll around to see the entire picture you will find some faults if you are looking for them. It does have some purple fringing and a little noise, but I think you will be happy with the shots viewed full screen or printed. The wide angle capability is a big advantage for scenic shots.

The comment that EVFs aren't useable in low light doesn't apply to all cameras - not even to all Nikons. Many of the better cameras brighten the EVF in low light – my 3 year old Minolta switches to B&W and will view in near dark. Some of the Sony EVFs will let you see when it is too dark for your eyes. I recentlyread somereviews of the Nikon 8800 and the reviewers were quite happy with the EVF in low light.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote