Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:51 PM   #11

You should re-think before giving up! The G6 is a 7mp camera. You wanted pics up to 8x10. Why would you look at a 7mp camera when half that many mp's would do you fine? Noise seems to increase when more pixels are crammed onto the CCD. Therefore a camera with fewer pixels may well have less noise.You might consider going back to the store and trying a cameraat the 3mp range. I think there is a good chance that you will find a camera that meets your stated requirements, for a great deal less than your $700 budget.

Something else to consider - yes, the need for software manipulation of digital photos might be a disadvantage over 35mm, but look at the advantages. You can shoot hundreds, thousands even, of photos and not ever have to buy film or develop and print them. Digital photos are instantaneously useful for computer use such as email or printing at home. Conventional photos take a while to get, and need to be scanned if you want to email them or use them on a website.

PhilR. 35mm and digital photographer......

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:12 AM   #12

You really need a f2 lens for low light moving targets. I don't think that just going to 3Mp is going to do much for you. You have an f-stop to make up for with ISO if you get a f2.8 digicam. So where you could shoot at ISO 200 with the G series you would need ISO 400 for the same shot with anything else small. Going to 3Mp probably isn't even going to break even unless you can find a used G1.

I think the G6 has less noise than the G5. The 7Mp sensor seems to have some improvements to make up for the density. You can still get new G3s, but they are only a hundred bucks less than the G6. G3 owners really liked the noise characteristics – 4Mp with same sized sensor.

Neat Image and Noise Ninja work well for noise without blurring the image. You can batch process after making a profile for the camera and conditions.

Of course you can develop a lot of film for the price of a digital camera, memory and spare battery.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 1:07 PM   #13

Phil/slipe~ After my disappointment with the G6's noise (at ISO 400), I asked the camera store owner about a G3. He said that I wouldn't see much of a noise difference (at the same ISO) because other improvements in the G6.

Afterrealizing my objective,the camera store ownerdidn't try to sell me any digicam, saying:"in the digital realm, only a dSLR with a reasonably fast lens could deliver the results I'm after".

AdSLR with a reasonably fast lens is beyond my budget as well as being obstrusive andtoo noisy (mirror-slap) for my purpose, so that's why I'm of the opinion that a compact 35mm truly is the best solution.

Phil V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:34 PM   #14

I carried a small 35mm for years. I used a Stylus 80 and switched to a Konica Lexio 70 which gave me a 28mm wide to 70mm with f3.4 rather than f5.3 max aperture on the Oly. I liked the Lexio and usually loaded 400 ASA film. But I don't think it will take the kind of pictures you want without a flash. The 3.4 at 400 ASA would equate to less than ISO 200 on the G6. It is hard to find a pocket 35mm with a f2 lens without going to something like a Leica.

Oly makes a Stylus wide which is a little larger than either of mine, but it has a typical f4.6-11.0 lens. It does have a 28mm wide though.

Let us know what you end up with.

Not all DSLRs have mirror slap BTW.

Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:57 PM   #15

slipe~ Unfortunately, I can't even afford the Leica's accessories!

I think I'll start by looking for other rangfinder-type 35's on e-bay. Hopefully, I can find a nice Canon or Nikon with a fast semi-wide lens.

Thanks for your interest and help!

Edit: I'm curious about your parting comment, "Not all DSLRs have mirror slap BTW". How does any dSLRget around that?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:29 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm curious about your parting comment, "Not all DSLRs have mirror slap BTW". How does any dSLR get around that?
The Olympus E20 has a semi-transparent mirror. Canon had some 35mm SLRs that way too.

Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:02 PM   #17

Hmm, seems like that approach has to be less efficient - re: light-transmission (I would imagine the loss of an f-stop or thereabout)!

I presume the D-Rebel uses a standard mirror that flips-up just before the shutter trips - correct?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 3:53 PM   #18

Why do you want to shoot candids at ISO 400? Are you trying to take some candid pics in the night?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:38 PM   #19

Quote:
I presume the D-Rebel uses a standard mirror that flips-up just before the shutter trips - correct?
As far as I know yes. Some have a mirror lock-up. You could make one of those wire sights like the Speed Graphic had.

Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:34 PM   #20

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
Why do you want to shoot candids at ISO 400? Are you trying to take some candid pics in the night?
Indoor shots - without flash.