Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:06 PM   #31
Administrator

You can have problems with any camera.... One of the most common problems is stuck pixels (pixels that are always bright). You even see this in brand new cameras from time to time. Of course, buttons and switches can fail, as can any of the internal electronics. Ditto for lens mechanisms (gears, etc.).

Anytime you buy a used camera (or almost anything else used), there is a certain amount of risk involved. So, I'd make sure to find out if it's in mint condition in every way (both operation and image quality). You may even want to specifically ask aboutany stuck/hot pixels. I'd also make sure that the battery and a/c adapter were in good working order (this model uses a proprietary lithium ion battery).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:13 PM   #32

Hmm; you make it sound very risky!

Jim, if it's less than a year old, do you know ifCanon will still honor the warrantyeven thoughI'm not the original owner?
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:31 PM   #33
Administrator

Artie wrote:
Quote:
Hmm; you make it sound very risky!

Jim, if it's less than a year old, do you know ifCanon will still honor
the warrantyeven thoughI'm not the original owner?
LOL - Well, I didn't want you to have the impression that buying a used modelis risk free (as cameras do have problems from time to time).So, it wouldn't hurt to ask the vendor some specific questions about it if the listing isn't very clear on it's condition.

But, I rarely see a complaint about a broken G3 (unless somebody dropped their camera), and many users have taken thousands and thousands of photos with them.

As far as warranty, I don't know what Canon's policies are. Chances are, they won't honor it if you're not the original purchaser and have a receipt (but I don't know that for sure).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:57 PM   #34

I'll have to sleep on the issue of buying a digicam through ebay. At this point, I believe I'd be a lot more comfy buying a new camera with a warranty (just in case)!

Regardless, you've been a big help - thanks very much!
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote