Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:58 PM   #1

I have just been given a project to take photos for an online catalog. I have been reading alot of threads and still a little confused. I would need to be takeing some very close up photos of mainly non reflective green materials (dried leaves). What would be some good suggestions. I see all this stuff about diffrent lenses that are used, and I understand that but not sure what camera I should get to use the lenses, and where might be a good place (price wise) to get the camera/lense.

Also what type of lighting suggestions would anyone have for the close up (macro) shots, it would be indoors and a controlled environment so i would imagine lighting would be better than flash.

Thanks from a newbie
dgarbini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:37 PM   #2

Your situation is the type where the lighting system is more important that which camera to use. You should consider using a lighting tent, which is a desktop system that allows small objects to be illuminated with a very bright but directionally diffuse light. This type of setup will help to reduce the reflection and often harsh lighting caused by the camera's flash, which comes only from straight from the camera. Call B&H Photo (they're on the internet) and get one of their catalogs, which will show several of these types of items. There are also a few places on the internet that have basic instructions for home-made systems as well. I have seen amateur pics using this type of setup that rival anything made by a professional.

If all you will be doing is posting the photos on the internet, then you won't need a lot of megapixels. You might do fine with a consumer-level camera such as one from Nikon's Coolpix line. Nikon's are generally regarded as having very good macro capabilities.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:46 AM   #3

Thanks Phil,

I ended up getting a small light tent and a Nikkon coolpix 4100. Here is a link to a couple of the photos:

http://www.teanobi.com/products/loose/big/L011C.html

http://www.teanobi.com/products/loose/big/L010C.html

I just wanted to say thanks, they turned out way better than I had expected. I really appreciate the advice.

Take care,

Dan

PS- By the way you can see the rest of the photos on my site here: http://www.teanobi.com
dgarbini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:43 PM   #4

Hey Dan,

Those shots are great, especially when you consider that you've just started! Thanks for letting us know how things worked out. More often then not, we put up what we hope will be helpful posts, and then never see a reply as to how things worked out.

good luck -

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote