Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:14 PM   #1

I am a point and shoot picture taker. I've never done anything very advanced but am looking for a cutting edge camera which will allow me to take great pictures and even venture into more advanced picture taking in an easy to use format. I've target the P150 from Sony and have heard good things from camera dedicated sites but more mainstream sites say to Stay Away. Your thoughts? Thanks

Tony
primetime98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:28 PM   #2

My thoughts
Check out the Canon S70, also a 7MP DC and full manual controls....if 7MPs is too much for you, I suggest having a look at the Canon S60 (5MP)
The Sony P150 has only two f-stops, it's a shame since the image quality is great / the fastest shutter speed on the P150 goes up to 1/1000 unlike the S70 = 1/2000.
Nothing else, both are great but because of the further features - mentioned above - I'd buy the S70.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:42 PM   #3

Thanks, just curious do you know the price difference approximately?
primetime98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:47 AM   #4

I have the P150 and wouldn't recommend it. But if you are a "happy snapper" why go to 7mp? It is unlikely you will be doing enlargements of more than A4 size if that, so the S60 will suffice. Looking at prices the S70 is about $500 and the S60 about $400, and you won't notice any quality difference in the pictures. The P150 is about the same price as the S70.

The deciding point for you is that you may want manual control, and the P150 won't give it. Buy the S60 and get a good camera with money saved
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:03 AM   #5

I'm also considering to buy the P150 or the S70 - althought iwon't need7MP for printing, it's nice to have them...

The price here in Austria is almost the same - €390 for the P150 and €395 for the S60. The S70 is €495.

Since the P150 is smaller, faster with focusing, capturing images anddata transfer (USB 2.0) andhas 7MP it's my favourite compared to the S60.

Haven't figured out about the picture quality yet - which for meis the most importantcirteria- both aresaid to deliver great pictures???

Klausl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:33 AM   #6

To me, either the P150 or the S70 deliveries HIGH quality images.....but if for the same price the S70 gives me more....so, I'd buy it.
BUT have in mind you'll notice soft corners on the S70 pictures, that's a consequence of its wide lens (28mm)...but despite that issue, I lean towards the S70.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:19 AM   #7
M2

What does everyone think about the reports of blurry pictures from the P150 due to its elongated shape? (i.e. small movement with the hand on the right = big lens movement on the left)
M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:24 AM   #8

I have had no end of problems with my P150 when using flash, and the camera is now residing in the glovebox of the car for emergencies. One third of flash photos were blurred.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:17 PM   #9

It seems a small percentage of people have major blurring problems with the P150, butmost seem tolove it. I am actually thinking about buying either the P150 or the S70, but if it's between the S60 and the P150, I thinkyou would havea better go withthe P150, as it's the best (IMHO) for just point and shoot.

Regardless, definetly check the reviews on this site of all three.

Good luck -Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:59 AM   #10

My only problem if to buy Sony they are the photos of indoor without flash. For outdoor the quality it is high. But many persons say that in indoor sony he is not good and this has created me some problem why I had decided to buy sony. it is possible to see photo of indoor without flash with Sony? After to have seen I decide in order to buy. Thanks to all
robyy is offline   Reply With Quote