Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:25 PM   #1

Sorry for posting in the wrong section as I read the Section headers AFTER I had already submitted the post. It will not happen again. Now on to the reason I am here.

Thanks in advance for glancing at my post. I have been doing so much research on digital cams the last month or so that I am driving myself crazy.

Just when I think I have made my choice, I back out and do some more research. My wife and I will be using the camera. She will be a point and shooter while I would like to get more into the manual capabilities of the cam.

I hear awesome things about the A95 but I would also like the ability to use a superzoom as well which has me leaning toward the Panys. I get mixed answers on how many megapixels one needs. I have heard from many people that the 2MP FZ1 can still produce outstanding 8X10s due to its brilliant Leica lens. The FZ1 has the ability for IR photography but what is exactly is this and how will it help me. I am leaning towards the FZ3 since many reasons were given by a lady on the Panasonic forum as to why it would be a wise choice.

As far as subject matter goes for the camera, my wife and I would mainly be taking various pictures of my 4yo daughter and family. I would be taking some action shots of mtn biking and other outdoor sporting activities.

Thanks again for any suggestions or information to make my decision a little more clear cut.

Excitedly waiting:?

Mark

mark photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:29 PM   #2

mark photo wrote:
Quote:
The FZ1 has the ability for IR photography but what is exactly is this and how will it help me.
Quote:
IR means infrared. IR pics have a somewhat ethereal feel to them - hard to describe so you should do a search for a few to see what I mean. The IR feature is only important if you want to do that type of photography, and has no bearing on regular photography.
Quote:
I am leaning towards the FZ3 since many reasons were given by a lady on the Panasonic forum as to why it would be a wise choice.
Quote:
If you want superzoom, that is definitely the way to go, as long as 3.2mp is enough for you.
Quote:

As far as subject matter goes for the camera, my wife and I would mainly be taking various pictures of my 4yo daughter and family. I would be taking some action shots of mtn biking and other outdoor sporting activities.
Quote:
I doubt that image stabilisation will matter a whole lot for you, so also consider the Olympus 10x zoom (can't remember the mod.#), the Nikon 4800, Fuji 5100, Minolta Z3, and Canon S1 IS. On the other hand, if you're going to spend that much money, you might as well get a camera that has IS, so you will have it if you ever need it. There is a reason why the FZ3 outsells the others combined (keep in mind that 48% of all statistics are made up on the spot...:-)).
PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:51 PM   #3

Thank you Phil for the advice. I think I will jump on the FZ3 as I like its 12X zoom and its smaller size. I think 3.2 MP will be enough for me as I won't need to do much cropping due to the 12X zoom lens. The IR photographs do look really neat. Something I might get into after I have time to master more basic photography on the FZ3. Thanks again and happy holidays. God bless.

Mark
mark photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:35 PM   #4

I was also learning towards an FZ3 or even an FZ15, until I noticed Ritz camera has a clearance sale price on the FZ1. Same 12x zoom and features and the 2mp is giving me better resolution than my 4pm pentax optio. Since I'm still in the learning mode, this is a great camera for me to really use and abuse at a great price before I spend the big bucks!

tomdude is offline   Reply With Quote