Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:47 AM   #1

I've currently got a Canon Powershot A40 from the summer of 2002. It's served me well and infact is still working perfectly ok... Bear in mind that this has compactflash (of which I have 128mb, 64mb and 8mb cards).

I'm looking to upgrade and at the same time get a smaller, lighter camera that I can carry around in my pocket... to parties, to work, things like that... The two cameras I've seen that prickled my fancy are the Canon S500 and the Sony P150. They're both roughly the same price here. From what I've seen, the Canon extra bits (like batteries and memory) are about half the price of the Sony.

I mostly take point and shoot pictures but I do occasionally play around with long exposure shots and macro shots, more often than not to make a nice background for my PC or something like that. I don't normally print to anything more than A4/Letter size. I do take short video snaps quite a bit, so video ability is a must.

I've found the Sony lightweight and nice to hold, but since I haven't really used one since the dark old days of Mavica 1.44mb I don't know what they're like these days... I like the fact that it's got USB2 although this isn't a priority since I have a card reader thing. Should I be looking to get this or looking elsewhere, maybe the Pentax S5i?

PS. If someone could send me a file/link to a sample AVI from the Sony I'd be very grateful.

TIA

deady2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:28 AM   #2

the sony is going to have better video quality at 640 x 480 with 30 fps where the canon is only 10 fps the newer canon SD300 (although only a 4MP) has the same framerate and resolution as the sony but with a smaller body (also uses SD cards so your CF cards would be useless not that 8MB would get you far anyways)
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:31 AM   #3

Regardless of which camera I get, I think I'll just get a 1Gb card then never have to worry about carrying any spare cards around with... just the camera, maybe a spare battery and that's it. They're about 60-80 GBP for the Sandisk Memory Stick Pro....
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:43 AM   #4
Administrator

deady2002 wrote:
Quote:
If someone could send me a file/link to a sample AVI from the Sony I'd be very grateful.

You'll find a movie in the Sample Photos section of the review here (click on the center thumbnail in the next to the last row):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...0_samples.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 2:27 AM   #5

i have the SD300 with a spare batt and a 1 gig card

and have never looked back
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:11 PM   #6

Have you considered the Sony W1? It takes pretty good vid-clips (for a digicam) and is a solidly built little camera.
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:21 AM   #7

That actually looks really good... and only £200 from EmpireDirect.co.uk!