Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:02 AM   #1

hi, i am nineteen years old, i am a college student and i work as a sports photographer for a local newspaper, i usually cover area high school games. I am (and havebeen for months) in search for a new camera,a dslr easier said than done, right? I feburary of this coming year, i have the opertunity of going into partnership in opening a small portriat and sports studio, people pay big bucks to have pictures of their kids playing sports.

I have and olympus c-740 which is great, with its 10xzoom for daytime picturesat a baseball game, but when i hit the lights on friday night, its not so hot. Although it worked with aslave flash, i lookedrediculus with a flash almost as big as my camera!! :?

I shot a fuji s pro for football and volleyball this year, but anydslr would be an inprovemnet for those situations.Anyway the skin toneswith the Spro wereamazing, right on, even with African-American skin tones, which i know can be hard to match sometimes. That camera is a little pricey for me, plus there were several featuresthat i didnt like about it. When reviewing the photos after you took them, you couldn't zoom up on them on the LCD screen (to see if they were completely focused)and that it wasdifficult when i and on the feild and i know that i need at least10excellent pictures. I found myself going to the next game, thinking that i had good pictures and some were out of focus.

I noticed that in the store,the canon20d and nikon d70 would focus alot faster than the fuji that i was shooting.I have been researching both of these cameras on this sight and on others for over two months andin the long run all i seem to get is the nikon people telling me to go with the nikon because it is a NIKON and the canon people telling meto go with the canon because it is a CANON, i just don't know what todo.

I know the canon has 8m and the nikon only 6, but i am not sure ifthat is a real concern to me or not? The canonshots 5fps and the nikon only 3, but again,i am not sure if that is a really goin to mattereither,plus the flash can't keep up anyway at this level of camera. I am concerned about the skin tones andhow good they turn out, i would like to take portraits with the camera, that i choose andeventually weddings. Another thing was the lens, i know that with whatever camera i buy, i will be stuck for life because i will start to buy lens, which i dont have any yet, another reason why this decision is an important one! I also know that thenikon d70 kit has a very nice len included, where the canon kit not so nice, or so i was told by several people.

The three camera shops i was inall leadme to the cheaper nikon d70, and i didnt know why? i thought it was possibly because they wanted to sell me somelens??? I was aming to have one by Christamas but, if i wait until after, i could possibly get a betterdeal. I would like to think that nikon d70would be more than enough for a nineteen year old, but i am just scared that this isnt enough for what i want to use it for. Or maybei am in the wrong ballpark alltogether? E-1? ijust needsome advice.

I have about $2000 max, (ifi work overtime:?haha) to buy a body, battery, card, case..... stuff like thatand at least one nice lens, i would eventually like to havemore butfor right nowthatwould satisfy me. I hope, or soon i am going to have to drop out of school to buy new lens, hahaha:lol:!!!!
sportshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:29 AM   #2

They do say (Maybe on the Canon site, I forget where now) that the Canon 20D passes the wedding photographer's test.

i.e. it has enough resolution to be able to see detail in the faces when you do photographs of large groups of people. I'm not sure how much worse the Nikon would be with only 6mp.

I have a 20D so I am biased anyway
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 2:50 PM   #3

I'm a 19 year old too who takes photos for the local newspaper. Hope to be going to college soon. Anyways I switched from a Sony F707 to a D70 and am very happy. But I'm not going to be biased. Both cameras are great (my dad had a Canon 20D) the Canon my have better picture quality but there's barely a difference when you going to be posting in a newspaper. Also its very hard to get off 3-5 shots a sec in a gymnasium, and get a decent shot. I choose the D70 because it's very similar to a Canon 20D and it's more durably made. To tell you the truth both cameras are great. I struggled with the same question for months and months. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever camera you buy. Also the Canon has more lensto choose from.

I'd like to see some of your highschool sports shot. Everyday I'm taking shots of highschool sports and would be interested to see your results.

Hope this helps some.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:13 PM   #4

Buy the Nikon D70 kit. Here's my 2-cents:
About a month ago I decided to buy a D-SLR, did my research and decided on a Canon 20D. I found flash pictures in artificial light to be always underexposed and usually incorrectly white balanced. These two things make the automatic modes useless indoors. To take good indoor pictures took a +1 on the flash and some positive on the exposure setting. To get the colors right usually took manually setting the white balance with a white card or white wall picture. Part of the reason to buy an SLR is to play with all of the controls and settings but it should not be required with every shot.

After a week of trying to figure out if it was the camera or me I gave it up and returned it and bought the D70 kit. Subjective but the whole thing just feels better. It is almost hard to take a bad picture in any of the automatic modes. White balance and flash don't need adjustment. There are still plenty of manual settings to play with to get full SLR enjoyment... The D70 kit lens is superior in every respect. The 20D kit lens feels cheap like it may break if you touch it wrong.

The 20D does have a higher ISO and is faster. It is fun to take 30 pictures in 6 seconds. The controls are well layed out and easy to use.

I thought I probably just had a bad camera but didn't want to chance it with an even exchange. After searching the forums it appears I wasn't alone.
c1b2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:46 PM   #5

I don't own either camera, but I have been researching this for months. My camera needs differ from yours. If I W E R E you...I believe I would go for the D70. I have read some really solid reviews and testimonials for the D70. True, the D20 is a mighty fine camera too. But if you are budget minded (I believe you are trying to stay within 2k) the Nikon would be the best bet. The extra Canon MP real estate is nice, but not essential. You have to increase the MP size drastically more to get a great difference in resolution between the two. For the saving in body $ you will no doubt be able to afford more in the way of glass with the D70. The Nikon can do what you need a camera to do. The Canon I believe is the equivalent of 2000$ solution to a 1500$ problem. Good luck, best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:57 AM   #6

Say brother I am in the same boat and am glad to see that you are asking the right questions. I hope that we hear from more people in the know out there. I too have been looking at the 20D and was leaning very heavly in that direction but like what I am hearing about the D70. I too want to use it for weddings and would like to know if there are any pros out there who have choosen that cameras for that kind of work. If I could get a camera that will do a good job in the feild that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg boy I would jump at the chance. Than I would use my Hasselblad as backups. I love my Blads but you know it is alot of work to set up and shoot with that camera and as you know time is money.So thanks again for expressing exactly where I am at in ths juncture. :-)
fab_480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 4:12 PM   #7

Well, here's another opinion. Both bodies will be a winner for you. But, since you are planning on using them professionally you really need to find out which lense system you want to use. Right or wrong, every person I've spoken to who shoots sports professionally or semi-professionally shoots Canon. Their high-end telephotos I believe are given an edge over Nikons. But I don't know if you'd be looking for a $6500 400mm 2.8L lense. I'm only a hobbiest, but when I bought a DSLR (I bought a DRebel) I checked with folks who shot sports and was thus led into the Canon camp. Heck, it may be marketing but just look at the sidelines at a professional event - all those white lenses . IMHO you should look at some of the lenses you would need to fulfill your professional endevors. While the Nikon's kit lense is better I don't think either one would be considered professional quality - especially not for sports. So look at some lenses and buy into the system that has the better lenses for your goals. Just my opinion. Good luck to you - and whatever you decide be sure to post your results :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:24 PM   #8

Just to throw another monkey wrench into the equation.... I suggest that you look at the new Olympus Evolt E-300. Since you have no other lenses to "reuse" this might fit your plans and needs well. I am looking at the same situation for sports event photography ( mostly golf) and have been waiting to see/handle this unit as compared to the D-70. Good Luck.

Bogeyman
bogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:00 PM   #9

I'm not going to write much but if you can afford it, it's a very very easy question to answer - the D70 is the best camera made under $4000.

Olympus E-300 eVolt

The Canon 20D and Nikon D100 and D70 do more for probably a lot less. The 8MP vs. 6MP has no effect on image quality, the dust eliminator is nice however Nikon's D70 also has that licked, and the E-300's low ISOs will give less sharp photos due to less depth of field and motion blur compared to the 20D and D70.

Consider this if size is paramount. If you need flexibility in a system with many options and long future system life then go Canon or Nikon instead. No one knows if this new Olympus format or system will grow or even be available 5 years from now.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:24 AM   #10

well , i am still looking and i just can't decide yet. i know i will be more than happy with either one, but i was also considering taking a portraits (eventually)with it, i heard that the skin tones weren't so good with the D70. Maybe i should look into a more expensive model/brand??? only one person told me that though, alot of people have been leaning towards the D70 rather than the 20d , i am assuming 'mostly' because of the price, i have read great reviews on both cameras. i guess what i am asking now is, would either one of these cameras be ok for studio use?? i do take sports photos (now for the newspaper that i work for), and will continue to do so, but i would eventually like to take some studio shotstoo??? note; i am a girl and i have small hands, i liked the way the d70 held in my hands much more than the fuji i was previously using, the 20dis alsovery similar to the d70, but i liked the placement of the buttons on the d70 better....not a huge deal but somthing else to look at, i guess.....any input is very much appreciated.....thanks so much for all of your help this site is great!!!
sportshots is offline   Reply With Quote