Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:30 PM   #11

Well after a little more :P my wife has caved in and agreed to let me get the FZ3, so I picked it up today and all I can say is wow! what a nice piece! can't wait to get some pictures done. I also got a 256mb SD card(didn't think 8mb would get me anywhere).So thanks to everyone who responded(yes...even you Raghu :-) ) and I hope to get some pictures up in the Panasonic section soon.

Cheers
bel4_20
bel4_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:39 AM   #12

Have fun with it...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:44 AM   #13

Glad you like your fz3. I am looking at the fz20 but i don't know if I can drop the cash on it or not. I'm glad you did't go with fuji either because from what I have read about their technology it's a scam.
algea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:12 PM   #14

HAPPY HOLIDAYS BYT I CAN'T SEEM TO GET SHARP PICTURES FROM MY PAN-FZ3 NO MATTER WHAT ISO, PE, AP PR OR SP MODE I SELECT. MODE 1 OR 2 ON AUTO STAB DOEN' T HELP. WIDE ANGLE OR ZOOM IS THE SAME AND ALL MY SIMILAR PICTURES WITH MY 3 YR OLD FUJI 280 2MP, 6X ZOOM ARE MUCH SHARPER. ANY IDEAS ON WHAT I AM DOING WRONG? I'LL TRY TO POST SOME OF MY SHOTS--INDOOR, OUTDOORS, FLASH OR NOT THE RESULTS ARE JUST AS POOR. I WENT TO CC AND GOT A NEW CAMERA AND THINGS ARE A LILLTE BETTER, BUT NOT MUCH.

HELP--JOBEAR:shock::sad::?

PICS LATER
JOEBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:29 PM   #15

Sorry can't help you there as I am a newbie to the camera world, but I'm sure if you post this question under the Panasonic section someone will help you out with it.

Quote:
HAPPY HOLIDAYS BYT I CAN'T SEEM TO GET SHARP PICTURES FROM MY PAN-FZ3 NO MATTER WHAT ISO, PE, AP PR OR SP MODE I SELECT. MODE 1 OR 2 ON AUTO STAB DOEN' T HELP. WIDE ANGLE OR ZOOM IS THE SAME AND ALL MY SIMILAR PICTURES WITH MY 3 YR OLD FUJI 280 2MP, 6X ZOOM ARE MUCH SHARPER. ANY IDEAS ON WHAT I AM DOING WRONG? I'LL TRY TO POST SOME OF MY SHOTS--INDOOR, OUTDOORS, FLASH OR NOT THE RESULTS ARE JUST AS POOR. I WENT TO CC AND GOT A NEW CAMERA AND THINGS ARE A LILLTE BETTER, BUT NOT MUCH.

HELP--JOBEAR
bel4_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:13 PM   #16

I habve the same problem... I don't know wich one to chose between the FZ3 or the S1 IS..

I'm afraidof the orientable screenon the S1 IS.. Is it solid or it takes 3 months and it's broken (the jonction) ?!

Can we use the zoom on the movie mode with the FZ3 ?!
fook_yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:58 PM   #17

fook_yu wrote:
Quote:
I habve the same problem... I don't know wich one to chose between the FZ3 or the S1 IS..
FZ3 is better if your only concern is still images... if you want video, then the S1 IS is probably the better choice because the FZ3 video is really inferior... The S1 IS is also weaker in short-range low-light since it doesn't have an AF-assist lamp so that's something to keep in mind...

Quote:
I'm afraid of the orientable screen on the S1 IS.. Is it solid or it takes 3 months and it's broken (the jonction) ?!
I, as well as my brother, have been using my S1 IS for a few months now and the screen isn't a problem at all. If you have a chance, visit a retail chain and see how the twist-out screen is. It seems pretty solid IMO... However, the screen is kind of small (FZ3 is the same size so it isn't really a factor between those two but still worth mentioning). 1.5" is basically on the low-end (hardly any of the new cameras are released with such a small screen anymore--except the ultra-zooms it seems) and it's kind of hard to see detail on the screen.... On another note, I find the twist-out LCD very useful. You can shoot weird angles with it. For example, I can shoot at feet-level with it. It isn't anything major but is sort of a tiebraker if you think FZ3 and S1 IS are exactly equal.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:51 AM   #18

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
fook_yu wrote:
Quote:
FZ3 is better if your only concern is still images... if you want video, then the S1 IS is probably the better choice because the FZ3 video is really inferior... The S1 IS is also weaker in short-range low-light since it doesn't have an AF-assist lamp so that's something to keep in mind...

Quote:
I'm afraid of the orientable screen on the S1 IS.. Is it solid or it takes 3 months and it's broken (the jonction) ?!
I, as well as my brother, have been using my S1 IS for a few months now and the screen isn't a problem at all. If you have a chance, visit a retail chain and see how the twist-out screen is. It seems pretty solid IMO... However, the screen is kind of small (FZ3 is the same size so it isn't really a factor between those two but still worth mentioning). 1.5" is basically on the low-end (hardly any of the new cameras are released with such a small screen anymore--except the ultra-zooms it seems) and it's kind of hard to see detail on the screen.... On another note, I find the twist-out LCD very useful. You can shoot weird angles with it. For example, I can shoot at feet-level with it. It isn't anything major but is sort of a tiebraker if you think FZ3 and S1 IS are exactly equal.
I own an FZ10 and this is exactly right. It all depends on what you want. The video mode on the FZ3 isn't very good. However, the FZ3 is smaller than the Canon, with a bit longer zoom and arguably better images (Leica lens). It's a personal choice, really, as both will suit you well. I like the FZ's because you can add-on things such as lenses and filters very easily.

Good luck with your decision.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:39 AM   #19

thank... just a final request... can someone shoot a video from the FZ3 and the S1 IS, at best quality both. The video on Steve Digicams is not long enough for the FZ3 (5sec).

Thank
fook_yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 2:48 PM   #20

fook_yu wrote:
Quote:
thank... just a final request... can someone shoot a video from the FZ3 and the S1 IS, at best quality both. The video on Steve Digicams is not long enough for the FZ3 (5sec).

Thank
Videos are too big to post but I would say that they aren't THAT great. My S1 IS has horrible video in low-light (I'm guessing the video is shot at ISO200 or something because there is a ton of noise). You also have very little control over the video (compared to a camcorder/DV). The camera also has problems auto-focusing if you zoom too quickly or abruptly pan the camera... BUT in bright conditions (eg. sunny outdoors), the video is pretty good. It's not going to replace the camcorder right now but it is good enough to play on tv. If you like taking short little clips (eg. a cat napping or something then it's cool)...

Video also gobbles up huge amounts of memory so that is something to keep in mind. For example, you really have to buy a 1 GB memory card (and that only shoots 9 minutes of video with my S1 IS).

For video comparison, check out these reviews courtesy dcresource.com (scroll near the middle-bottom to see the video):

FZ3
S1 IS

Hope that helps...