Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:38 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for some time now and I am almost ready to buy a digital camera. I would like all the help I can get from all of you, I don't trust those pesky sales people at my local electronics shop so here goes. The 2 cameras I have come down to are the Panasonic FZ3 and the Canon Powershot S1 I like them both equally, but I really like the 12x zoom on the Panasonic and the one downfall (or at least I think is a downfall) is the FZ3 has it's own battery pack as oposed to the Canon using rechagable AA's. Does anyone have any idea howmuch a extra battery would cost for the FZ3?. So whats evrybodys opinon on these two cameras? any and all insite would be appreciated Thanks in advanced to all who respond!
bel4_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:37 PM   #2

You might check the Circuit City web site and see if they still have the free extra battery and case rebate with the purchase of the FZ3.

Extra batteries for the FZ3 vary in price - you can get aftermarket ones on ebay.

I wouldn't let the choice of battery sway your decision either way. It is easier to spend the extra money for a spare battery and be forever happy with your camera, if it's the FZ3 you really want.

The S1 has a better movie mode, from what I understand (don't do movies myself).

The FZ3 has a slightly longer and faster zoom, focus assist light, and a rechargeable battery w/charger (I think the S1 does not come with these, so you will have to add in that cost). From what I've seen lately, the FZ3 is generally a bit cheaper too, if you take advantage of the sales going on right now.

They are both great cameras, but for me it was an easy decision to go w/the FZ3.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:55 PM   #3

You can get another Pana battery at www.batterybarn.com for about the cost of some AA's and a charger. I'd go for the FZ3 or FZ15.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:32 AM   #4

Quote:
The S1 has a better movie mode, from what I understand (don't do movies myself).
Yeah thats one thing im not interested in either.

Quote:
focus assist light
That was another thing i forgot to mention about the FZ3 another puls in my pro's and con's.

I agree with both of you on this looks like I'll be going after the Panasonic. Thank you for all of your help
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:27 AM   #5

If you care about video, the Canon S1 IS is probably better than the FZ3 (Canon's video is far better)... if you don't care about video, the Panasonic FZ3 is far better than the S1 IS. The key benefits of the FZ3 include:

* lower aperature of F2.8 throughout zoom
* 12x zoom (vs 10x on Canon)
* AF-assist lamp
* better pic quality (although some claim that Canon leaves the images soft for you to post-process)

So overall the FZ3 is much better if you ignore video...

As far as batteries are concerned, these are one time costs so they shouldn't impact your decision too much... I'm not too sure but I think the Panasonic proprietory battery probably costs around US$60, whereas I bought rechargeable NiMH batteries for my S1 IS for US$10, a good battery charger for around US$30. So you are basically looking at around US$30 difference or thereabouts. But this is almost negligible compared to the cost of the camera.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:43 AM   #6

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on my decision, unfortunately my wife thiks the Panasonic is a bit to expensive:P :X soooo I looked around a bit more and Im looking at the Fuji FinePix S-5100 can some give me a comparesment between the 2? I know the 5100 has no I.S. how importent is that? basicly what will I lose if i get the fuji?. Should i cry over spilled milk?

Thanks
bel4_20
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:13 AM   #7

Before deciding on the camera, first decide who is going to decide!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:21 AM   #8

I value IS highly--but some don't... so it depends... if you are not using a tripod (I am not) then IS is arguably a key feature...

The difference between these cameras, in terms of price, is not THAT much. I would just spend more on the FZ3 or S1 IS or something, than get one without IS... but then again, that's just me...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:05 PM   #9

Raghu wrote:
Quote:
Before deciding on the camera, first decide who is going to decide!

yeah no kidding!!:angry:

Are there any reconmendations in a 3-4 mp camera pref slr style anyone would recomend (and with a zoom over 3x optical)

any help will be graetly apreciated.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 2:25 PM   #10

Anyone?