Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:43 PM   #1

I've done tons (maybe too much) of research - I think I have come down to these two, but the HP is said to have slow shutter speed and the Kodak does not offer manual control. I have two kids and do a lot of scrapbooking, so I want something with good zoom and a quick shutter speed.

ALSO: 5 or more MP - Digital zoom of at least 6 -

is there a fuji or cannon that is in the same catagory as these two cameras? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm starting to get a big headache from all the research. Thanks LaRynda

LaRynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:49 PM   #2

LaRynda wrote:
Quote:
ALSO: 5 or more MP - Digital zoom of at least 6 -

is there a fuji or cannon that is in the same catagory as these two cameras?
Yes there is. If you check the reviews section, you will find the Fuji S7000. Even better however is the Panasonic FZ20. If you can go down 1mp, you can also consider the Fuji S5100, Panasonic FZ15, Olympus 765, and the Minolta Z3.

I'm not sure why you would specify digital zoom of at least 6. It's optical zoom that makes or breaks a camera. Most digital zooms are only approx.4x anyway.

Consider the 5mpFZ20. It has afast 12x optical zoom with image stabilisation.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:25 AM   #3

There's also the Nikon 5700 - which will be a good price now.

Why do you want 5 MP?
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:56 PM   #4

Thanksso much, great suggestion -- Although the 5700 has a short movie length (60 sec) I am not too sure how much I would usea movie function, or even how good the images are, but it would be nice to have it for those special. --- I want 5 mp because I want the ability to print 81/2 X 11 and be able to crop closely without grainy images and I don't want to outgrow the camera and have to buy another one in two years. Do you thinka 4 mp be just as good for my needs? I thought better on the higher side. Thank for your help.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:05 PM   #5

Thanks - great suggestions - I also had the PanasonicFZ20 listed - it has everything I wanted - but I was concerned because it was not one of the top manufacture names I would associate with photo taking. But perhaps that is not such a big deal. The reviews were all super for it. Also the dimensions seem a bit larger than I wanted, especially since this will be my primary camera to tote along everywhere. But it might be worth it to trade for the ability to have an manual focus option which the Kodak does not have. Could not find anything on shutterspeed though, did I miss that? Do you know about it's shutter lag time? I am so grateful for you help. You can never know!!!:-)
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:05 PM   #6

LaRynda wrote:
Quote:
Could not find anything on shutterspeed though, did I miss that? Do you know about it's shutter lag time?:-)
This info can be found in the reviews.

The FZ20 is indeed a large camera. Definitely find one to play with before buying.

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote