Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:48 AM   #1

What a tough decision...I'm in the market for a handy SMALL camera with lots of function...rapid-fire mode for golf swing analysis is a nice feature...being able to view screen (and print such) are important...are all 3 equal on this? I'll assume picture quality is close for all 3 in other areas?...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I see the M1 is loaded with features and is quite small...plus, it has a video cam. mode...this is very cool...theT1 (what's up with the T3?) looks like it has the same features as the M1, but without the good video mode...the M1 and T1 are both good for the pocket?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I like the Olympus 410 due to its water resistance capability...as I tend to put a camera in my pocket...so a sealed case is good...plus, if I want to whip it out while skiing, I don't want to have to deal with crappy quality and damage to the camera...

Going forward, which camera offers the most bang for the buck with the least amount of headaches?

Thanks,

Headless
the-headless_horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:21 AM   #2

I'm not really sure if any digicam is suitable for golf swing analysis. Even the better ones only have around 2 or 3 frames per second (i.e. 2 pics in one second) and I imagine you need around 6 to 8 pics to analyze a swing.

Of course another option is to use the video mode and capture each frame. But I'm not sure how good this is. I'm guessing you would get blurred images if you use the video but I'm not too sure.

If golf swing analysis is important to you, I think you really need to dig into the cameras to see if they can do what you want. Do you know how accurate the swing pics have to be? Do you need only 1 or 2 pics per swing or way more?

My FEELING is that ultra-compacts are not good for doing complicated stuff like swing analysis (for example, wouldn't you want to use a tripod, and if yes, then cameras like the T1 don't have a tripod mount)... but it all depends on what you are trying to do...

--------------

The T3 is not being released in USA so you have to go with the T1 if you want.

Looking at the specs, the M1 looks to be a LITTLE bit bigger than the T1 in one direction (it's a bit smaller in another dimension though)...but all these cameras are ultra-compact and should fit in a pocket.

The M1 looks like a newer camera with almost the same features as the T1. M1 has MPEG4 compression for video (which should significantly reduce video sizes, and hence allow you to take longer video with a given amount of memory).... one hting the M1 is worse off is with the # of pixels (on the LCD). M1 seems to have lower # of pixels than T1...M1 also seems to cost US$100 more and hasn't been released yet it seems (not sure)...

The Olympus is far cheaper (has much smaller LCD screen, slightly smaller sensor, lower megapixels,) so it isn't really in the same price range... This one is also an ultra-compact so it will fit in your pocket.

------

I like the T1 and consider it to be the best (although overpriced) camera for candid pics and portability. If you don't care about manual controls and are ok with weak flash and red-eye problems (all ultra-compacts generally have these problems), then the T1 is hard to beat.... but keep in mind that the T1 (like most ultra-compacts) does not have many manual features and isn't really a very good camera from an amateur photographer point of view. Cameras that are a little bit bigger (but not too big) like the Canon S70 or Canon A95 are better; or even the ultra-compacts that a bit more manual oriented like Sony W1, Canon SD300 and Panasonic FX7 offer more features/control.

Since you are willing to spend money (T1 and M1 are probably the most expensive ultra-compacts), cost doesn't seem to be an issue. If that is the case, have you considered SLIGHTLY larger cameras like the Canon S70 or Panasonic FX7 or Canon SD300 or stuff like that? A camera that is slightly larger will offer more features and is PERHAPS better for your purposes. These cameras are still pretty small...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:13 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. Where price isn't an issue, size is. For example, I currently have a Kodak dx6440, and when walking around in Vegas, it was simply too big to fit in the pocket...it's a nice camera, but I'm not overly impressed.

I have to admit to being a feature creature...I like gadgets and don't mind a camera with more 'toys' on it.

The M1 looks to be really neat, being it has both a nice video mode, and of course, a camera mode...(is there an optical viewfinder if the LCD isn't good in the sun?)...I know the T1 gets good marks for its size and features. Let's face it: Sony makes good products. The reason I like the Olympus is due to its weather resistance capability. I ski Vail and would like to be able to carry a camera around for some creative pics. I'm not sure how well the Sony would do in colder climates...the camera would be packed (insulated) in a backpack...

The golf swing assessment. Most cameras allow a video mode that can be broken up to single pics...as long as they can be 'broken' up and copied to the computer, that would be fine. Perfect resolution is not important...the camera would need to capture many shots per sec...and video mode would better allow that...

So, I'm still stuck...hmmmmm...which way to go? Need super compact, nice burst picture (or video mode), and a well-made product. Also, I see the T3 on Ebay...what's up with that? The M1 is available in the US right now...

Thanks for your continued help...

Headless
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:49 PM   #4

The T3 is not being released in the US supposedly because the T1 is selling well So the T3 is only available in other countries...

You should be able to capture frames from a video (even if the camera doesn't support it, video editing software or even Windows media player 9 will likely let you). But the question is whether these pics are going to be blurry or not. I can't say for sure since I have no experience with it...

If you get a good weather proof case, all these cameras should be fine.

Since you seem to like features and style, the M1 is probably best. It is new and "cool" I haven't read any reviews of it yet though so I'm just basing my opinions on the specs...
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:43 PM   #5

Thanks again for the reply...I'd really like to see the final assessment (conclusion) on the M-1 to help make my decision easier. I know the Olympus 410 is rated highly, but, how often will I really need a water/weather resistent camera? Even if I take a camera skiing, it'll be in a protected case until I pull it out to use. I doubt Sony would make a crappy case for its products...

As far as function, I agree that the M1 is unmatched...provided the picture quality matches that of the T1/410...(no reason it wouldn't)...

The M1 size is rather impressive, for all you get...do you know of any 'final' reviews on the M1? This website doesn't have one yet...although I did write to request any new info. on the camera...

Headless
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:22 AM   #6

Steve writes one of the best reviews so always check his stuff. I don't think Sony has released this model yet and so there aren't any final reviews. Here is another preview:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_m1-review/

I think you have to wait for one more month at least...
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:49 PM   #7

Well, I looked around a lot and finally decided to order the thing...found a good deal on ebay...with lots of extras (case, battery, 512mb card) and went for it...I guess I'll have to get the thing and report back to you now!

Whatcha think?

I was thinking to get the M1 over the T1...why not? For about 125.00 more, you get the very good video...in a really compact size...

As far as the Olympus, the only advantage was the water-resistant casing...and that's not reason enough to buy the camera.

Plus, the M1 has great advantages for golf swing analysis...cool stuff!

Headless

Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:21 PM   #8

I speak from (bad) experience, be careful, very careful, buying cameras from ebay dealers!
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:14 AM   #9

Artie,

Thanks for the concern. I am very, very cautious with ebay items...I always call the 'store' to be sure things are legit. and only buy from authorized dealer of product. This particluar merchant has a store in NY and has a division exclusively for ebay...in addition, the power of American Express cannot be underestimated...always use...great card that will back you and hunt down whoever does something illegal...plus, ebay is pretty aggressive with tracking down crappy merchants...feedback ratings do go a long way!

Take care and happy holidays,

Headless
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:06 PM   #10

Headless~ Good luck and after getting the M1 do let ushear your impressions.
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote