Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:08 PM   #1

Hello all,

I am semi-experienced with film cameras, but I have never before had a digital camera, and soI have finally given in and decided to buy an Ultra-compact. I know aDSLR would be a better camera, but I plan on doing quite a bit of travel this summer, soIneed to have a small camera which is reliable (which is why I worry aboutCanons, the dreaded E-18 error). Also, it needs to be fast to capture those shots that only last for a moment. However, I occasionally dabble in the artsy, so it needs to have a decent manual mode, and of course, great picture quality is a must. Price really can be about or under$500, but can be exceeded if completly necissary.

I know this is quite an order to fill, and thank you all for your help in advance. Please don't hesitate to give me your opinions.

Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 4:33 PM   #2

You are experienced with cameras, so a compact with only automatic mode will not satisfy you, that is clear. I concur that the smallCanon range would be inadvisable in view of the ongoing E18 problems, but I think that if you go just a little bit larger the Canon S60 or S70 would exactly fit the bill. A wide angle 27mm lens, a decent zoom, 6mp or 7mp depending on your choice, and no E18 problems. More importantly they have manual control, giving aperture or shutter priority. I bought the Sony P150 which, in view of the emerging problems of blurred flash shots (25% of mine) I would not recommend. Look at the Pentax Optio 750 too, which also has manual control and a decent zoom
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:48 PM   #3

sorry for being a bit slow but what is a e-18 error and dose it effect the cannon a95??:?:O
notalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:43 PM   #4

The E-18 error occasionally happens on the smaller Canon models, often talked about in relation to the S500. It basically renders the camera uselsess, and requires sending it in for hefty repairs. To be honest, I don't know whether it affects the A95, although I assume it does.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 3:59 AM   #5
M2

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
You are experienced with cameras, so a compact with only automatic mode will not satisfy you, that is clear. I concur that the smallCanon range would be inadvisable in view of the ongoing E18 problems, but I think that if you go just a little bit larger the Canon S60 or S70 would exactly fit the bill. A wide angle 27mm lens, a decent zoom, 6mp or 7mp depending on your choice, and no E18 problems. More importantly they have manual control, giving aperture or shutter priority. I bought the Sony P150 which, in view of the emerging problems of blurred flash shots (25% of mine) I would not recommend. Look at the Pentax Optio 750 too, which also has manual control and a decent zoom
I just ordered the P150 after extensive research. Hundreds of reviews, hundreds of posts and the flash issues seems very inconsistent. NONE of the reviews mention any problems with it whatsoever but then occasionally someone on a forum will say that nearly all of their shots are blurry. I have to wonder if some of these cameras are defective or if perhaps a lot of people with bigger hands (dont laugh at my theory lol) have trouble holding such a small camera.

M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:50 AM   #6

Well, A95 is definitively not an ultra-compact. Actually I don't think any of the cameras you've specified are. SD200-300 are ultra compacts, maybe the G400 from KM...

I don't know your needs specifically, but the S60 is small, smaller than the A95. It has full manual controls, a nice wide angle: 28mm. It takes very good pictures and seems to fit your needs. If I were you, I'd give it a look. I personally own the A95, but it being that you specified an ultra-compact and that I consider this camera to be among the least compact camera of compacts, I am not sure if it would be wise to suggest it.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:01 PM   #7

Thank you all very much for your responses, I'm going to Ritz (shoud I be ashamed?) today to look at the S60, S70 and maybe have another look at the P150. Does everyone think that the S70 is worth the extra cash? Besides from the mexapixel upgrade, that is.

I know this is a moot point, but the DSC-P150 and the S500 are most definetly ultra-compacts; the others mayjustbe compacts, I'm not sure.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:57 PM   #8

What size do you plan to print ? If its no larger than 8x10, then 7mp is just too much. Already with 5, you can print 11x17 which is pretty big IMHO.

Personnally I suggest the S60 more than S70, but that is just my own personnal opinion.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:13 PM   #9

I doubt I'd print more than 11x17, so in theory the S60 should be right for me, but I was wondering if there were other differences between the S60 and the S70 besides the megapixel count? Even the smallest things could tip the scales at this point.

Thanks -Jack
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:40 PM   #10
Administrator

Jack B. Nimble wrote:
Quote:
I doubt I'd print more than 11x17, so in theory the S60 should be right for me, but I was wondering if there were other differences between the S60 and the S70 besides the megapixel count? Even the smallest things could tip the scales at this point.
Jack, if you read the conclusion section in the S70 review here, you'll see comments that the buffer depth has been increased in the S70 (more consecutive photos before a slowdown compared to the S60).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/s70_pg7.html

Also, Sony appears to have made some improvements in the CCD design of the newer 7MP 1/1.8" CCD (used in the Canon S70), so that it has less visible noise compared to the Sony 5MP 1/1.8" CCD (used in the Canon S60) as ISO speeds are increased.

This is the opposite of what you'd expect, since the 7MP CCD uses smaller photosites for each pixel.In previous Sony designs in this size, the higher the pixel count, the higher the noise was the general rule of thumbwithin the same size CCD (for example, comparing the 4MP 1/1.8" CCD to the 5MP 1/1.8"CCD, the 4MP 1/1.8" CCD had lower noise).

See the ISO 400 photos in the review photo samples for both the S60 and S70 and you'll see what I mean (the S70 ISO 400 sample has lower noise). I've noticed the same thing with other new 7MP models using this new Sony CCD (less visible noise compared to those using the 5MP 1/1.8" CCD, when everything else about the cameras is the same). Look at the full size images, and check out the face of theradioand the difference is pretty apparent.

S60 ISO 400 Sample

S70 ISO 400 Sample

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote