Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:46 PM   #1

The choice is down from 8 choices to these two. I give up manual focus options with the 7590 but the FZ720 is quite a bit heavier and higher in price. How important or how much would I miss the manual focus on the Kodak? This is my last quest for help. I am so close to done......:-) Thanks LaRynda
LaRynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:14 PM   #2

Manual focus is helpful when you want to focus on something that isn't in the center of the frame. However, with an autofocus camera you can point the camera at the focus subject and then press the shutter button half way. This will lock the focus in place, and then you can re-compose the shot, placing your focus subject in any portion of the frame. Other times when manual focus is helpful is when the autofocus mechanism is confused by certain patterns. One canautofocus ona different subjectthat is an equaldistance away, and then re-compose the shot.

Given that most photographic situations can be easily handled by autofocus, I wouldn't let the lack of manual sway your decision.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 3:24 AM   #3

Thanks so much, You have been a great help. The lucky winner is the Kodak 7590.

The second camera I ever considered. Wow, so much for weeks of research.

Now....... What portable printer. Just kidding. Thanks. LaRynda
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:59 AM   #4

LaRynda wrote:
Quote:
Thanks so much, You have been a great help. The lucky winner is the Kodak 7590.

The second camera I ever considered. Wow, so much for weeks of research.

Now....... What portable printer. Just kidding. Thanks. LaRynda
I'd go with the Fluzi if I were you.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:46 PM   #5

FZ20 is a better camera imo
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:46 PM   #6

I've just been through the same process and came up with the the same final options although I didn't discount the Fuji S7000 or the Minolta ultra zoom cameras either. My final choice was the FZ20 because of the lens and the image stabization which seems to generally work OK up to about 6-8 times optical. It saves having to lug a tripod around so the extra bulk of the Lumix was less of an issue. I am certainly not an expert on digi cams and propably like you, I checked out the digi camera mags in the news agent while waiting for the bus as well as on line reveiws and user reveiws. I don't think that you could go to far wrong with the Kodak though as they have been making cameras longer than most.
dlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:12 AM   #7

Thanks to all, unfortunately, I left the final choice up to my husband since it will be my Christmas gift. Lets see what he decides. But, I am so grateful to everyone for their opinion, it's good to know I was not 100% alone in this decision. THANKS!