Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:05 PM   #1

i am a newbie to photography.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i have a Minolta Maxxum HTSI with Sigma28-200mm lens.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i am planning to buy a DSLR. will i abe able to use those lenses?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i know i am giving very little information but i would appreciate if some body could help me with this.
beautyspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:20 PM   #2
Administrator

If your lenses are for a Minolta Maxxum mount, then they will only work on a camera with this mount. Other manufacturers use different lens mounts. Sigma is a third party lens manufacturer, so they make lenses in different mounts for different models.

The only DSLR product that your lens would mount on would be the new Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7 Digital (a.k.a., Dynax 7 Digital).

BTW, when shopping for a Digital SLR, you need to be aware that your lenses would havea different 35mm equivalent focal length. Because the sensor in a Digital Camera is smaller than 35mm film, the entire image circle is not used. So, you have a crop factor (a.k.a., Focal Length Multiplier). This factor is 1.5 on the Maxxum 7D. So, your 28-200mm lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of 42-300mm when used on this camera model(multiplying the actual focal length of the lens by 1.5).

This makes your lenses appear to be "longer" than they are (which can be good if youwant more magnification, or bad if you needed a wider angle ofview for fitting more of a scene into the image).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:53 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If your lenses are for a Minolta Maxxum mount, then they will only work on a camera with this mount. Other manufacturers use different lens mounts. Sigma is a third party lens manufacturer, so they make lenses in different mounts for different models.

The only DSLR product that your lens would mount on would be the new Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7 Digital (a.k.a., Dynax 7 Digital).

BTW, when shopping for a Digital SLR, you need to be aware that your lenses would have a different 35mm equivalent focal length. Because the sensor in a Digital Camera is smaller than 35mm film, the entire image circle is not used. So, you have a crop factor (a.k.a., Focal Length Multiplier). This factor is 1.5 on the Maxxum 7D. So, your 28-200mm lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of 42-300mm when used on this camera model (multiplying the actual focal length of the lens by 1.5).

This makes your lenses appear to be "longer" than they are (which can be good if you want more magnification, or bad if you needed a wider angle of view for fitting more of a scene into the image).

Unless, of course, you get a full-frame DSLR, which are priced at two testicles and the sacrifice of your firstborn son.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:38 PM   #4

Thanks very much for such a quick and detailed response.

i was planning on a dSLR so i think if iplan on saving on lenses i have only one choice i.e,. the Maxxum 7D. and i do not think think i am more than $200. So i might as well go for a new setup entirely.

Btw.. is the Konica Minolta Maxxum 7 D very bad?

Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:41 PM   #5

Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:00 PM   #6

"Unless, of course, you get a full-frame DSLR, which are priced at two testicles and the sacrifice of your firstborn son."

...Now do those two testicles have to be from the same donor? :-)
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote