Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:15 PM   #1

I have deiced as a last minute gift for my fiance(and kinda of for me too) to get him a new digital camera. Our old one died a while ago, it was just a cheap Kodak. I would like to be able to do some short simple movies with it as well as take pictures. Nothing professional, but the best I can get for my money. I am looking to spend around upto around $450.00 US

I was looking at the Sony DSC-P150 and someone just recommended I take a look at the Canon S70.

I am open to any camera around that price range though, would just like to get the best I can for him. I have never done movies with a digital camera but seen a few that others have done, I know they wouldn't be as good as something that just does movies but for quick little fun ones I would like to have the option once a memory stick was added.

Basically just looking for the best picture/movie combo for my money.

Thank you for any advice, it is greatly appreciated

Rebecca
rebs9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:34 PM   #2

If you take into account memory and batteries and whatnot, neither the P150 nor the S70 will be in your price range. The smaller Canon series, and the Nikon Coolpix are both good camera ranges, although some of the Canons have the E-18 error (very few, but it still exists), and I don't know about the movie mode on either. I would reccomend looking at the Sony W1 though, it seems to be a great little camera, and I think it has pretty good movie mode.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html

Good luck! -Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:53 PM   #3

I wasn't counting the memory card or battery into my spending price.. I was going to spend that on the camera then more on whatever else he would want later such as the battery, etc.

I will check out the W1 though

Thanks
rebs9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:27 PM   #4

If that was your price for just the camera, then the S70 (or S60) is definetly worth looking at, it has been reccomended to me many times in the last few hours.However,if your looking for an ultra-compact, I think the 150 should definetly be high on the list.

Basically the S70/60 offers more control, while the P150 is all about the sleek size and look (althought by no means are its pictures bad, they're very high quality). It seems to me that the S70 takes slightly better quality pictures though.
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:12 PM   #5

If you are wanting a camera that does movie clips too, you really should consider the cameras that does 640x480 at 30fps. This makes the movies look smooth, not choppy like the 10 or 15 frames per second cameras do. I started a thread that lists all the cameras that can do this. The Canon S70 does not fit into this group.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...98&forum_id=87

The high movie mode however eats memory extremely quickly. I recommend getting a 1GB card (Kingmax 60x SD card only $70 at newegg).
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:42 AM   #6

I have the pentax optio 750z and am extremely happy so far...

Good luck!
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:58 AM   #7

Maybe you can check out the canon SD300 ..around 350 dollars worth.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:06 PM   #8

The dsc-150 comes with the battery anyhow, and battery charger, and 32 MB memory stick. Of course, you might want to have a bigger memory stick...but 32 MB is still useable if you set the camera to 1600x1200 pixel photos, which is pretty decent already. So this should work out to roughly 400 dollars.
eg..
http://www.profeelvideo.com/showpage...ource=dealtime
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote