Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2004, 4:46 PM   #1

I need to buy a new digital camera for use in taking pictures of my friends/myself(friend taking)kitesurfing.

This is not the only type of photography it will be used for but as a general camera to. This is why it needs to fairly small.

I have looked at the sony p150/p100 and the casio exp600 due to its manual controls and size.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Mark....
uggitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 5:38 PM   #2

Are you going to be in the water while snapping pics?

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:23 AM   #3

No, sory i should of mentioned that pictures are taken from the beach. I feel a good optical zoom may be needed (4x)but I am not sure on this.

Thanks for the reply,

Mark
Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:32 AM   #4

To get action pictures you need a good zoom range and a fast shutter response. The P150 is a small point and press which will in no way fit the bill. Unfortunately you'll have to go bigger to get any good pictures, and in this price range I would recommend the Canon G6 which goes up to 140mm and is reasonably compact, but more likely the Olympus C765 which has good shutter response and a 38/380 zoom for those action shots. This zoom will allow you to get good photos from some distance. Assuming you are in the USA about $400 will buy it. No matter which camera you buy, be very careful on the beach with it. Don't let it get wet and more importantly keep it away from contact with sand. That will destroy the camera quicker than anything. You can get an underwater housing for the Olympus which will work in water and at the same time protect it on the beach.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:57 AM   #5

I have looked at the canon G6, does this get the E18 problem????

It also only has 4 x optical and the oympus has 10x.

Is the casio no good as it looks full of functions, just a bit worried of some of the reviews about 'noise' it can produce.

Is there not a compact camera out there that will do the job? Or is it 'size does matter'????

Mark

Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:41 AM   #6

I know it's probably not what you want to hear...

but the best sport action cameras are going to be the DSLRs... They're not compact in size or price...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:02 AM   #7

Which is why I gave you the choice of two cameras, one more compact than the other. The canon pocket size cameras suffer from the E18 problem, not the larger ones, so there is no worries there. I agree that a DSLR is the best choice, but that would take you well outside the budget you have in mind, so compromises must be made. I think, on reflection, that given the usage, the availablity of a waterproof case, and the zoom lens that the Olympus would be the best.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:48 AM   #8

The olympus C765camera looks like the one, but is ther a 5, 6 or 7mp camera the same as or will the 4mp camera be ok to print out A4/A3 pictures as we may do in the future.

ugg.....
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:46 PM   #9

Following picture was taken with Minolta S414 which has been discontinued but can still be purchased new on ebay for less than $200. Go to dcviews.com, which will direct you to several professional reviews of the S414, including Steve's.
Attached Images

jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote