Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:02 PM   #11
Administrator

confuzed wrote:
Quote:
Thankyou so much for all the great advice here, I truly appreciate it. I am now thinking a DSLR is probably worth considering...I know if I get non-DSLR I'll always be thinking I got a poor second but of course price is a big factor...I'll take a few days of research before making the decision. I feel so lost without a camera that I wanted to run down and get a replacement right away but the more I read the more time I realise I need to take.
There are pros and cons to both approaches. You specfically wanted a shallow depth of field, so I wanted to explain why that's hard to achieve with a non-DSLR model.

But, there are techniques to improve the odds. For example, slipe discussed using a different focus point (in front of your subject), so that the background becomes out of focus sooner.

To be frank, that's what looks like happened in the sample photo you posted (the camera was front focusing, resulting in the appearance of a shallower depth of field).

There are pros and cons to both types of camera. If you're going to be taking a lot of photos where you want the background to be blurred so that your subject stands out more, then a DSLR is a better choice (provided you buy the right lenses to go with one).

But, non-DSLR models are smaller and lighter, and generally give you much greater focal range in a single lens. The G6 model you're looking at also has an exceptionally bright lens (f/2.0-2.6). Many users prefer the greater depth of field they can get with a non-DSLR model, too (for scenes where you want more to be in focus). I've seen more than one user switch from a non-DSLR model to a DSLR, wondering what was wrong (since not as much of the scene was sharp, due to a shallower depth of field at any given aperture).

So, in many cases, a non-DSLR model can be better, because it has much greater depth of field, without the need to stop down the aperture as much to achieve it.

Quote:
I do have another question and, again, I feel stupid so please bear with me..

I have an old Minolta SLR (like about 15 years old) and it has some additional lenses - what looks to be an el cheapo ("Star" brand 70-210) and the Minolta M-AF 2X teleplus MC7 along with a Minolta 35-80 mm. My first question is can I use these lenses with a DSLR and if so, does it have to be a Minolta to use them? Also, would the age mean they are probably not worth keeping or are they inexpensive to repair if needed? Please excuse my complete ignorance. :?
Well, if they are for a Minolta Maxxum (Dynax) Autofocus camera, they'll probably work on the new Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7 Digital (a.k.a., Dynax 7 Digital). But, they're not going to work on non-Minolta models. There's an off chance that you could find a lens mount adapter for them for a different manufacturers mount. But, even if you did, you'd probably lose most of the lens functions (including Autofocus, and possibly metering) on a non-Minolta model.

You would also need to take the "crop factor" into consideration for use on a model like the Dynax 7D. Your 35-80mm lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of 52.5-120mm on this model (it's crop factor/focal length multiplier is 1.5x). As for value, you'd need to be more specific on the lenses (including the aperture ratings), and check Ebay for what they are selling for. Chances are, your 35-80mm is an f/4-5.6 lens, so it's not going to be worth very much. As for the Star lens, I suspect it won't be worth much either.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:57 PM   #12

Thankyou, again, for all the wonderful information - I feel like I've learned more in this forum then in two photography classes! I actually feel like I"m getting a grip on controlling depth of field - I guess putting into practice will be the test...

I've had a good look (and play with) the Canon 300D/Rebel and think I've fallen in love! I'm trying to think up ways to beg, borrow or steal it from the store :-)and am also wondering whether it's an option to look at Ebay. What is the general feeling about buying new cams from Ebay? What are the pitfalls? Are there any reputable sellers anyone can recommend? The cam & extras here are $1900 ($2500US)retail (about $1000 more than my budget) but I'm pretty sure I'll go with it.

Kind regards

Sheye
confuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:02 PM   #13

confuzed wrote:
Quote:
Thankyou, again, for all the wonderful information - I feel like I've learned more in this forum then in two photography classes! I actually feel like I"m getting a grip on controlling depth of field - I guess putting into practice will be the test...

I've had a good look (and play with) the Canon 300D/Rebel and think I've fallen in love! I'm trying to think up ways to beg, borrow or steal it from the store :-) and am also wondering whether it's an option to look at Ebay. What is the general feeling about buying new cams from Ebay? What are the pitfalls? Are there any reputable sellers anyone can recommend? The cam & extras here are $1900 ($2500US) retail (about $1000 more than my budget) but I'm pretty sure I'll go with it.

Kind regards

Sheye
$2500 US?

It's $1000 US here in the US, I don't know where you live.

Actually you can get the rebel with kit lens for less than $900 these days.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:23 PM   #14

Ooops, I did the conversion the wrong way around!! Too early in the day for me. It would be around $1300 US I guess, I'm in Australia. Sorry 'bout that!

S
confuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:11 PM   #15

confuzed wrote:
Quote:
Ooops, I did the conversion the wrong way around!! Too early in the day for me. It would be around $1300 US I guess, I'm in Australia. Sorry 'bout that!

S

That makes sense now. :-)
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:39 AM   #16

I recently got the g6 knowing full well about the red eye problem using the on-board flash in low light conditions. I'm mentioning this in case you didn't know about this well-known problem with the g6.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote