Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:10 AM   #1

Hi all,

the reviews on this site are great and usefulbut i still dont know whatto buy exactly:
I want a good 5-8MP big zoom camera (at least 5x). I want to be able to use my camera when scuba diving. I dont want to spend more than aobut $1000.
I am leaning towards the olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom with the olympus PT-023 underwater case. I am pretty confident this camera is fine for me. The only problem is I see that this camera does not have image stabilizer unlike all equivalent camera (Canon Powershot Pro 1 , Nikon 8800 ) but otherwise the case for olympus is half the price of case for canon or nikon ( canon does not make its own case so would have to buy $750 Ikelite case) and reviews of olympus are excellent..
So my question is: Can I effectively use the Olympus 8080 to take decent pictures (especially landscape) without a tripod? or does the fact it doesnt have image stabilizer make the camera useless without a tripod?

Thanks a lot for all ur help
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 2:59 PM   #2

justed wanted to add:
some of the lower end cameras seem attractive like the powershote s1s or olympus 770 but there are all 3-4 MP . Is that enought for good pics? Is there any chance that olympus will release a 6-7 MP version of C-770?

Please help...
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:59 PM   #3

ntan wrote:
Quote:
justed wanted to add:
some of the lower end cameras seem attractive like the powershote s1s or olympus 770 but there are all 3-4 MP . Is that enought for good pics? Please help...
The "general wisdom" is that a 3 MP camera will print 8x10sin high quality. (There approximately 3.2 million pixels in an 8x10 image at 200 pixels per inch). I used aCanon PowerShot S30 -- a 3.2 mp camera -- to produce good quality 8x10s. When I tried to create poster prints, they definitely looked pixelated. And in fact, as you can find on other threads on this board, a camera with a lower MP count on point-and-shoot cameras may actually produce cleaner images (something like: fewer pixels = more room on the sensor to capture the image = sharper image with less noise).

I can't comment on any of the cameras you've mentioned--don't rule out lower resolution cameras (although if you want to print large images, or if you think you'll be doing some serious cropping, then more megapixels are better...)

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:12 PM   #4

thanks perdendosi. as for the megapixels, i prefer to go with the newest and best so that i could progress and not end up with obsolete camera in a year. as for image noise you mentionned, it seems that the 8MP have bigger sensor size than 5mp models which should eliminate most noise.
I looked into it all some more and went to try out both the olympus 8080 and the nikon 8800 in a store (but not working models , just the bodies)
I think i'll go with the nikon 8800 mostly cause of the stabilizer. Unfortunately there seems to be no underwater case yet , not suprising, its brand new. Anybody hear when one is coming out and how much?

Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:19 AM   #5

You could consider the Olympus 5060 or the 8080, for which undersea waterproof cases are available
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:51 AM   #6

I was seriously considering the olympus 8080 but decided that the vibration reduction on the nikon 8800 would be great for me. The 5060 doesnt have big enough zoom.
But I found for the nikon 8800 two solutions for underwater: There is an ikelite case coming out but way too expensive $800 or I see there is something that's sorta a good quality plastic bag its called ewa-marineD-AX.. Has anybody ever used this? is it less flimsy then it looks??
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:10 AM   #7

I'm not an underwater photographer, but from what I know a big zoom will be about as much use as a chocolate steering wheel in the desert. I would much rather have aperture than zoom length myself, and with 8mp you can crop and enlarge easily anyway.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote