Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:10 AM   #1

im looking for a good camera that will work well in out door and indoor, i want to be able to use it on sports, snowboarding, church functions, camping and hiking trips.I dont mind the size to much, but i dont want a huge one and be able to print up to 8x10, but mostly 4x6 and 5x7 print outs. What would be the best all around camera that will last for a couple of years?:?
scifiiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:51 AM   #2

I bought the Canon Power Shot S1 IS in August and it might meet your requirements. I got it for $359 from Best Buy. I found it online and the store matched the online price wich was 50 bucks less. Canon did a firmware update that addressed many of the early concerns for the most part. It is a great camera and will do just about anything an SLR will do (in terms of capabilities/not quality). I had an off brand 4 megapixel for three years and dropped down to the 3.3 megapixel S1, but hey I wasn't using all the megapixels I had before so I went for the 10X optical "stabilized" zoom which works wonderfully I might add.And I got all the goodies that are built in. It does great 5 X 7's and very good 8 X 10's. How many people look at em fromtwo inches away anyway. I would say the primary detriment is the lack of an auto assist focus lamp for indoor shooting and the related flash with a mind of its own. But you can adjustaround it pretty easy. And none of em are perfect.

Oh, and most of the goodies are easy to use or just point and shoot. That worksalso pretty well. Frankly my primary reason for the S1 was memory and the deal I got. I had hundreds of dollars in compact flash memory and that was what the Canon uses. And it is generally cheaper than all these XD's, SD's, Sticks, Stones etc... that the other camera's use. I have had a great experience with this and never had a moment of buyer's remorse. It is a very nice size in an average hand. I have done around a thousand shots and love it. I love that flexible display. I was at a Bear preserve outside of Yellowstone and the Bear came right up to the fence. Everyone else got a fence and half a face. I twisted the display so I could see it from below and got a great full face shot. Everyone else got fence and eyes. It would also work in those situations where you catch the kids or the pet doing something cute and know if you walk in with the camera cute is gone. Just twist the display so you can see it and stick it around the corner and they will never know. I don't use it, but the video is surprisingly good for camera also. Better get a 1 gig chip if you are going to use it though. I would put in the Bear pic if I could figure out how to insert it...
Kavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:12 AM   #3

This is all going to really depend on the type of camera you want.

If you want a larger, high zoom camera there are several of those. My personal recommendation is a Panasonic FZ line camera. I own an FZ10. The reasons for this choice of something like the Canon S1 IS are numerous. The Leica lens on the Panasonic gives it a superior image quality. Further, the camera has a more natural lens/body feel whereas the other cameras in this class (Mega Zoom Optically Image Stabilized), particularly the S1 IS, has a more rounded, less natural feel. Further the Panasonic is able to accept lens attachments easily (being threaded) and this will come in handy (especially putting on a UV lens protector).

I believe the Canon has trouble in low-light while the new Panasonics are fantastic in such situations. The Panasonic has a 12X vs. 10X zoom on the Canon, but this is not a huge deal. Panasonic takes SD cards and can take VERY quick consecutive pictures, especially with manual focus enabled.

The question is how much you want to spend total. If you want to spend $400 total, you'd probably have to get an FZ 3 (which eliminates MF and the attachments) or you might be able to squeeze in the FZ15 (which is what I would try to do).

Here is an excellent review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...Z20IMATEST.HTM

It will explain everything.

I haven't been over to the Canon forum but I know for a fact the Fluzi crowd (this set of cameras) is very active on these boards. They are all very helpful and knowledgeable and that really adds to the experience.

Now, if you want a pocket camera, forget my post and the one above it and start looking at smaller ones. You'll need to clarify what you want: portability, sports shooting, scenery, etc. so that we can get you hooked up with the right camera for your needs.

-Nuke
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:17 PM   #4

Around $400 if i have to but i want to keep it under that if i can, ive been looking at the Canon PowerShot A seriesand like that size but not sure if thoes r for me or not. the Canon Power Shot S1 IS size seems to be the biggest i want to go for any camera, any sugestions? Im kinda a newbie that wants to get better at cameras and taking pics, and this is the first time i can buy a semi good camera. I like the Panasonic FZ but i wont be able to aford it :-( the powershot S1 ISlooks great also, ill put that one in my list of ones to look at when i get to the store, are there any others that may fit what i need, and just let me know if u need any other information. I was thinking of starting off with something like the Canon PowerShot A75 for a while but not sure how long that one would last or if its just as worth it to get a more expensive camera with better quality.

The bottom line is i want to be able to do 5x7 printouts at photo quality and be able to do great indoor and outdoor shots, cloudy, sunny, snow, hiking,shady areas like a camping site. Will 3.2MP be enough forphoto quality print outs? there may be rare occations where i would do 8.5x11, it needs to be good at taking pictures of people in thoes conditions withphoto qualitydetail. 3.2MP or 4MP or will i have to go bigger???
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:01 PM   #5

does anyone else have a suggestion? Im going to wait till after Christmas is over to get it so if anyone else wants to put in their 2 cents, please do. The more i can save for a good camera the better.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:33 PM   #6

Hi,

the HP945 now costs about 350 euros, I suppose the same in dollars. For the price, I believe it is a good camera. In my opinion the picture quality is excellent, it has an 8x zoom, and a good number of features.

Based on your requirments, however,I see at least 2 disadvantages: shutter lag (not very fast) and no IS stabilization. If you can live with these, the HP945 is a good value for money.

Regards,

Dario

dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 5:43 PM   #7

I agree...the canon S1IS should do the job for under 400 dollars. Does well indoors and outdoors, and takes good quality pics. It's even powered by AA batteries which is cool ... because you can just get 8 AA nimh batteries and 2 cheap 4-slot battery chargers. So when you take on a trip, you can use up all 8 batteries if you want..then charge all 8 of them at the same time. I use AA's in my nikon 950 .. I reckon they're really good. But doesn't have autofocus assist light.

The FZ10 should do the trick as well. But has no focus-assist light to help the camera focus in low light.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote