Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:28 AM   #1

Im looking for a camera for the wife and I to have. We currently have a Sony DSC-P32 which seems to take decent pictures... but we are wanting something with better quality... more zoom, etc. Maybe something that we can change the lens on??

but at the same time, we want it to be a video camera also... not just take little small poor quality video clips.... is there such a thing?

the only thing I came across was the Pentax MX4... anyoen know anything about this camera?
00bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:48 AM   #2

MY LITTLE SONY MINI DV TAKES GREAT PICS. ITS ONLY A 1.3 mp BUT ITS GOT A PRETTY GOOD ZOOM, IT COULD BE BETTER BUT THE CARL ZIESS LENS NEVER FAILS ME. IT RECORDS STILLS ON THE MEMORY STICK AND VIDEO ON MINI DV ALSO WHILE SHOOTING VIDEO YOU CAN ALSO HIT THE STILL PIC BUTTON AND CAPTURE THE IMIGE TO THE STICK. iM ALMOST CERTAIN YOU CAN BUY LENSES FOR IT, ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER LOOKED INTO IT. THE SMALL NUMBER OF MEGA PIXELS MENS YOU CAN BLOW THE PICS UP TO MUCH BUT FOR TAKING PISC FROM A RELITIVLY CLOSE RANGE, IT DOES CAPTURE SOME GREAT DETAIL. I CANT REMEMBER WHAT MODEL CAMERA IT IS RIGHT NOW (IM AT WORK) BUT I CAN FIND OUT LATER... I GOT IT ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO. LOOK INTO THE SONY'S THEY ARE PRETTY GOOD.

-ZACKER-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:51 AM   #3

are cameras with 30fps considered a video camera? I was looking and found another camera I like even more...

the Fujufilm S7000. This camera is 6.3MP and has the 30fps video feature and also has add ons like new lens, etc

anyone know anything about this camera or another like it? what does the typical standard digital video camera without still picutre run in fps??
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:04 AM   #4

also, I noticed that S7000 has a 6x Optical and 3.2x Digital zoom... and there is a lens you can buy that is 3.0X Telephoto lens... does that mean you add the 3x onto the 6x and have 18x or what??

can someone explain this to me and also whats different in optical and digital zoom?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:17 AM   #5

00bolt wrote:
Quote:
also, I noticed that S7000 has a 6x Optical and 3.2x Digital zoom... and there is a lens you can buy that is 3.0X Telephoto lens... does that mean you add the 3x onto the 6x and have 18x or what??

can someone explain this to me and also whats different in optical and digital zoom?

Yes you'd have 18X.

Digital zoom is something you want to avoid and do as a crop and enlargement post-processing if at all. Here's why:

Digital zoom is basically on-camera cropping and enlarging. When you digitally zoom in 2X your resolution drops to 1/4 of the original. So if originally you had a 4 MP image and you digitally zoom 2X, you now have a 1 MP image, which isn't a very good image. The better idea is to use post-processing (because it works better than digital zoom, and then you can interpolate if need be_.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:18 AM   #6

zacker wrote:
Quote:
MY LITTLE SONY MINI DV TAKES GREAT PICS. ITS ONLY A 1.3 mp BUT ITS GOT A PRETTY GOOD ZOOM, IT COULD BE BETTER BUT THE CARL ZIESS LENS NEVER FAILS ME. IT RECORDS STILLS ON THE MEMORY STICK AND VIDEO ON MINI DV ALSO WHILE SHOOTING VIDEO YOU CAN ALSO HIT THE STILL PIC BUTTON AND CAPTURE THE IMIGE TO THE STICK. iM ALMOST CERTAIN YOU CAN BUY LENSES FOR IT, ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER LOOKED INTO IT. THE SMALL NUMBER OF MEGA PIXELS MENS YOU CAN BLOW THE PICS UP TO MUCH BUT FOR TAKING PISC FROM A RELITIVLY CLOSE RANGE, IT DOES CAPTURE SOME GREAT DETAIL. I CANT REMEMBER WHAT MODEL CAMERA IT IS RIGHT NOW (IM AT WORK) BUT I CAN FIND OUT LATER... I GOT IT ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO. LOOK INTO THE SONY'S THEY ARE PRETTY GOOD.

-ZACKER-

Caps broken? :roll:
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:30 AM   #7

NO, WHY?? :?
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:32 AM   #8

so are these 30fps digital cameras gonna take good videos? Im not looking to make a movie... but record son's birthday parties, christmas, tball games, etc

if i got a large enough memory card, say 2gb or something... will I be happy with the quality of the videos on one of these type cameras? i have a dvd burner and would like to make home videos....
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:43 AM   #9

They are good for 'short and sweet' memories but they are not comparable to video quality from a camcorder...

You cant use the zoom while recording by most of the cameras too...

Also, the video takes alot of memory so you'll have to invest in that too..

Maybe you should look at the pentax optio mx4. That could be interesting for you... (I just see that you mentioned that one earlier, make a search on that model or on the optio mx (3mp) and see what the owners say. I was planning to get one but finally bought the optio 750z as my most important point was good picture quality)

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:46 AM   #10

well the pentax mx4 and the fujifilm s7000 both have 30fps video recording.... why would the mx4 be better option than the S7000?

i like the S7000 because it is also a 6MP and has options of buying wide angle, zoom lens, etc where the MX4 is what you see is what you get....

is the MX4 better video??