Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:41 AM   #1

Okay guys... Im not very expierenced in the camera field, but have done a little researching the last couple days..

Anyway, I have decided what I want out of a camera.

1. 5+ MP
2. Capable of upgrading lens (telephoto,wide angle,etc)
3. 30 fps video + 800x600
4. anti shake

prolly a few other things, but most of the cameras Iv been looking at have all the other options I want.

But here is problem, I cant seem to find 1 camera that has all 4 of those options.

-Fuji S7000 - Has 6.0 MP, 30fps (no anti shake or 800x600)
-Minolta Z2 - Has 800x600 (but 4.0MP and no anti shake)
-Minolta Z3 - Has anti shake (but only 4.2MP and no 800x600)

so, here is my question... of those 3 cameras which is best?

OR... better yet, is there a camera that meets all my needs??
00bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:55 AM   #2

Probably have to wait for the next wave of cameras for all these features you need. Interesting how they don't put movie mode in those DSLR cameras. I mean...sure...they focus on still pics and the quality. But then again...how much extra work does it take to stick in a movie mode for them, right?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:58 AM   #3

well I just came across the Minolta A200... it seems to have anti shake, 8.0MP, and also offers 30fps and 800x600... only problem is... you cant record 30fps AND 800x600 at the same time....

this looks to be just about what im looking for... anyone know of a good price for this camera
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4

Just look up minolta A200 under Steve's reviews..then scroll down a bit...then click on ...see All (number) Stores...

It's important to check the record time of the movies on the cameras. Some of them limit the movie record time anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. While others have unlimited time...well, limited by card memory size.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a200.html
---
UPDATE: just checked..they only list 1 store there. Very strange! At least it's a very reliable store..17th street photo.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:08 AM   #5

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Probably have to wait for the next wave of cameras for all these features you need. Interesting how they don't put movie mode in those DSLR cameras. I mean...sure...they focus on still pics and the quality. But then again...how much extra work does it take to stick in a movie mode for them, right?

They dont put movie mode in DSLRs because it is not possible based on the design of a SLR. In an SLR, the sensor is not constantly exposed to light such as in a digicam. This is because when you look through the viewfinder you are actually looking through a series of mirrors directly through the lens. Therefore, there isa mirror in the way of the senors path. When the shutter button is pressed, the mirror flips up and the shutter opens, exposing the sensor to light.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:11 AM   #6

I see! Thanks for explaining that. That's really great information. I guess it would take a heap of work to get movie mode to work on those then. Thanks again!

I'm assuming that this mirror on DSLR's has a direct mechanical connection to the mirror to flip it right? Not electronically driven.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:13 AM   #7

what makes a better video? having something recorded at 30fps vs 15fps OR having something recored at 800x600 vs 640x480

does anyone have a link to a video of the same thing one recorded in both ways so I can compare?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:24 AM   #8

It wouldn't create a heap of work, you'd just need to create a way to continuously flip the sensor (in much the way they have burst shot modes) 30 fps. The other problem would be viewing, because you'd lose your view 30 times per second so the sensor could record.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:25 AM   #9

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
I'm assuming that this mirror on DSLR's has a direct mechanical connection to the mirror to flip it right? Not electronically driven.

Correct. It's mechanical.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:05 AM   #10
smc

Have you considered the Sony W1?

Didn't even realize thre was anything better than 640x480 as this is what the W1 has.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

I've seen about a half dozen 640 x 480 movies on various web reviews and they look pretty darn good.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote