Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2004, 6:32 PM   #11

I consider myself something of a camera junkie. Of course, that means nothing when it comes to my skill as a photographer, but I've certainly tried a lot of cameras. The digital cameras which have come and gone include Casio 2000/3000, Fuji 1400/2400/2650/2800, Nikon 995/4500, Toshiba PDR-M4 (a piece of junk), Canon A10/A20/A70, Sony D700/F505/F707, Minolta D7, and Olympus C700/E-100RS. Some were wonderful cameras,some I still own, and there are a few that I will probably buy again. The FZ10 is the digital camera I use now, and the only reason I would sell if would be to make the leap into the dSLR ranks. No camera is perfect, but it has impressed me the most of all the cameras I've tried. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the camera with which YOUwould be happiest.

"I take most pictures indoors with available light or outside in a sunny environment. I use the zoom on my older camera quite a bit, primarily point & shoot."

Under those parameters, I like the Olympus C700; and it has the added advantage of being a camera that slips easily into a large pocket or purse. If that's something that appeals to you, then one of its successors might be an excellent choice. Many of us who own and love a particular camera can be a bit zealous in recommending it to others. Consider your needs, and try to find the camera which is most suited to them. I came of age during the muscle car era, and I'd love to have one of those "monsters" parked in my garage; however, for the daily work commute, give me a Camry, Accord, or Malibu.

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 6:58 AM   #12

I bought the FZ20 last night, took pictures on automatic of everything available, no complaints. (Except from the wife for an on the couch sleeping closeup)
Sure has a quality feel in comparson to some of the other digital cameras I have held.

One thing that surprised me was is that the Zoom doesn't extend out of the camera but is moved within the housing. Nifty. I didn't hear it and when it didn't move out a few inches I thought it was broke, then I noticed the LCD indicator.

Thanks for the buying info, now to find a photography for dummies book.

bobbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 8:35 AM   #13

If it is like my FZ10 it defaults to stabilization mode 1. Mode 2 is evidently a little stronger. It doesn't stabilize the viewfinder in mode 2 – just the picture. That helps develop better technique IMO as you are aware of the camera shake and work a little to control it yourself. My suggestion would be to switch to mode 2 stabilization. Otherwise you can probably leave everything at default to start.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 1:42 PM   #14

slipe wrote:
Quote:
If it is like my FZ10 it defaults to stabilization mode 1. Mode 2 is evidently a little stronger. It doesn't stabilize the viewfinder in mode 2 – just the picture. That helps develop better technique IMO as you are aware of the camera shake and work a little to control it yourself. My suggestion would be to switch to mode 2 stabilization. Otherwise you can probably leave everything at default to start.

Agreed, go mode 2. It also offers a higher degree of stabilization.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 1:55 PM   #15

Size/Quality
If I plan on creating 5x7 or possibly 8x10 pictures, may or may not edit them with Adobe (depending on how they look), what would be the recommeded size/quality selections ?
2560, 2048, 1600 ....
TIFF or Fine (low compression)

Old Dec 24, 2004, 7:14 PM   #16

bobbee wrote:
Quote:
Size/Quality
If I plan on creating 5x7 or possibly 8x10 pictures, may or may not edit them with Adobe (depending on how they look), what would be the recommeded size/quality selections ?
2560, 2048, 1600 ....

I use an FZ10 but I'd go with TIFF when I could (ie not on a vacation where memory card space is an issue) and then use the highest quality with best compression when I wasn't using TIFF. If you know you're going to go 8x10 just go TIFF if feasible. It's better to have the quality and not use it then to not have it and want it.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 7:28 PM   #17

Which resolution would you use ? Does the higher resolution always produce more detail. If I will be printing 5x7 or 8x10 ?
Old Dec 24, 2004, 8:08 PM   #18

bobbee wrote:
Quote:
Size/Quality
2560, 2048, 1600 ....
Unless memory space is an issue (I don't see how that would be since memory card prices almost decrease exponentially with time), it is best to shoot at the highest resolution with the lowest compression with any camera. There are two reasons for this:

(i) You never know when you might want to print something large or stich images together or whatever. I mean, how do you know that you wouldn't want to print a pic at the max possible in 3 years? Right now, it might not matter but what about in 3 years or something?

(ii) By shooting at the max resolution and least compression, you will have the best quality and this will give you more leeway when it comes to cropping. Always consider cropping when buying and using a camera...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 9:02 PM   #19

Good point. Time to buy more memory.

Is it worth it to buy the ultra sd memory ?
Sounds like they are good for movies but for just Pics is it worth the difference ?
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:54 PM   #20

I own the FZ-10 and use Lexar memory. I've a 256 and a 512 MB (I'm thinking they're just 4x speed). Seems fine for my needs, but I'm not a professional. I just bought them when CompUSA or whomever put them on sale locally with rebate or whatever. NO problems so far (strictly home use in my case.) I've heard some cards are slow and not reliable which is why I bought Lexar. Do a search in the Panasonic section and you'll get more info than you'll probably want/need.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote