Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2004, 6:51 AM   #1

I am wondering if I should buy a digital camera or aa 35MMSLR
Camera for my trip to the Czech Republic in May. I will be there for 15 days and am worrried about adapters, batteries, etc. Can someone help me decide? Who should I go to? Help
womanofwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:27 AM   #2

What answer do you expect to get in a digicam forum when you ask, "is film better than digital?"
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:14 AM   #3

I agree with BillDrew, do realize that you are asking a question to the converted.

There are various issues here.
-Power is a serious concern. You can purchase adapters which will make it work, though.
-Size. An SLR will be larger (film or digital) and require more space and be more obvious. It could also make you a target of theft.
-Cost of equipment. With reasonable lens purchases and a reasonable SLR, it might be cheaper to buy the equipment. Of course, that depends on that digicam you purchased.
-Cost of development. It will be cheaper to develop the pictures and get prints made if you go digital. It will probably take you more time, though (you'll have to do some "digital dark room" work.
-Number of Pictures. If you go digital where will you store your pictures? Will you bring a laptop? Use some portable hard disk storage? ("image tank"-like thing?) With film you just buy more film.

And I'm sure there are more issues.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:27 AM   #4

Simple answer - Digital SLR - get a Nikon D70 - get a 2nd set of batteries ($20). three 512K memory cards and your set.

You can take 1000 shots, batteries will never run out. No need for different film for different light. No need for a dozen filters for White Balance.

Case Closed
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:40 AM   #5

In case our friend here doesn't want to drop so much cash for a camera she might not be able to work properly may I suggest a decent p&s digicam like a Canon A75 or Sony W1. Get an international charger, a couple sets of good batteries and a 1GB CF card. All in all you might only have to spend $250 to $300 and you're set to shoot as many pictures as your heart contends and pick the best for printing at 16 cents a piece. I don't think you can do that with film.

Sam

PS- In case you haven't already, read the many articles available on this website as well as others. In the end you're going to have to make the choice.
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:45 AM   #6

spark - so true - we need to see what kind of photos will be taken before you wan to shell out $1400 lol.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:19 PM   #7

I'm not sure what I would buy if I were starting from scratch. But on a trip to London, I really enjoyed using my 35mm SLR with a couple of good zoom lenses (28-80mm and 70-210). I ended up with a couple of hundred shots put on two Kodak Photo CD's, so they should last a good long time (if you believe Kodak about their Photo CD - not Picture CD - technology), plus I have played in Photoshop for hours vere since, using the Photo CD files up to 20 MB (I think). Admittedly not the lowest cost approach, but the result was good, IMHO.

I like my little Nikon Coolpix 2200, and for $150 I consider it a great value (probably cheaper by now). But I can do better with the (admittedly paid for) gear above. So my idea is to take a photography bug friend out to dinner and borrow her bag of good lenses. Oh, and a camera to put them on, digital or film.
:homey:
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:16 PM   #8

It isn't a simple question and I don't see it as black and white. If you are looking for high quality photographs and regularly have large photos printed for your walls you can't touch the quality you would get from the 35mm SLR for anywhere near the price. And if you get the photos developed locally there isn't a big difference in printing cost.

All decent digital cameras come with dual voltage chargers, so the most you would have to buy would be a simple adapter to make the charger fit in the local wall plugs – figure $2-5 buying locally overseas. I have always found them easy to get. So I don't think power is a big deal. You can get competent aftermarket lithium batteries for $20 and spares for NiMH type AA batteries are cheap. It might be worth investing in a spare if you elect to go digital. If you get a camera that uses AAs and doesn't come with a charger you would need a dual voltage charger for it.

An advantage of all digital cameras is that you can edit the pictures in the camera while on vacation and just keep the ones you want. You can also just print the pictures you want after you get home.

Before digital I always had good 35mm SLRs and a good assortment of lenses. I seldom carried them on vacation though, instead carrying a compact P&S 35mm zoom camera. With spot metering or pre-metering I usually got good pictures and the vacation wasn't inhibited by carrying and keeping track of a large camera and gear. If I were going on vacation now I would likely carry a competent compact digital camera and count on noise reduction software and post processing in the computer if I wanted a large print for the wall.

Some people center their vacation on photography. Others just want pictures of their vacations at reasonable quality. If you opt for a digital camera let us know what your maximum budget for the camera is and you will get lots of suggestions.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:30 PM   #9

slipe wrote:
Quote:
If I were going on vacation now I would likely carry a competent compact digital camera and count on noise reduction software and post processing in the computer if I wanted a large print for the wall.
And the camera and software would be ... ?

Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 4:01 PM   #10

Well, since I'm a film guy who is just entering the digital age with my first purchase, I say leave the SLR at home and get a good digicam.The main reason for this recommendation is because exposure to X-rays in some European/Asian airports can be lethal to film, especially with the higher ISOs.

I have passed my 35mm cassettes (100 - 400 ISO) through multiple airport x-ray machines in the US and UK without any problems, but I have had my film fogged in Istanbul and Athens! And yes I carried my cassettes in a baggie and asked them to hand inspect it but my request was rejected. No suchrisk with a digicam.
35mm is offline   Reply With Quote