Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:12 PM   #1

I have a choice to buy either one Panasonic FZ20 or SonyDSC-V3my problem is i do a lot of marco photograph with my SLR but i have to take so many lens and I have to drag all these equipment I hear that the FZ20 is pretty good in Macro what other Camera would some one recomend . What bother me is all the photographer that i know or Sales people they all say (Why would i buy a Panasonic Camera. We do not know anything about this Camera ) The only thing I like on the Camera and I hope is that it has a Leica lens . and i know that Leica has a very good reputation why would they put their Leica name on the line? Please help me what should i do ?:sad:
evelyne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2

I took some simple macros with my Sony V3.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:37 PM   #3

I saw some unbelievable pictures of bees close up (landing, hovering, etc.) just the other day in the Panasonic forum section. Think they were done with the FZ-10 (which I own and like, but don't do any macro work.) Actually, I'm not even sure if the shots were done in macro. Might check out some pictures from both. Many people post them to the forums.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 5:24 PM   #4

It really look good i do not know what to do I lake that it has a leica lens there but those picture are good cannot deny that now i am more in touble what to do
Old Dec 25, 2004, 5:27 PM   #5

Thanks but it doesn not help me you have a fz10 and i have not seen an macro in FZ20 if anyone has one please post it so i could see it also that would help me really thanks again for awnsering my posting
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:59 PM   #6

It is true that the Panasonic has a Leica lens but the Sony V3 has a Zeiss lens which has as fine a reputation as Leica.

As you can see, there is little to complain about.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:07 AM   #7

I don't know anything about macro (what criteria would you use to pick out a good macro digicam?) but some of the references below may help. It's tough to compare an ultra-zoom to a low-zoom prosumer. Check out the macro section (near the middle of the page) for the two reviews below:

V3 macro
FZ20 macro

Here are some resolution comparisons. I'm not too sure but I imagine that resolution will be more important with macros than with regular pics:
V3 resolution
FZ20 resolution

I don't know much but I think the V3 has much better macro performance than the FZ20.... I'm not sure how good it is with macros but you might also want to consider Canon G6, which is the main competitor to Sony V3...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:01 AM   #8

Macro performance is better on the FZ20 than on the V3 as far as focus distance. The FZ20 will capture a 1.46 X 1.10 area where the V3 will focus down only to a 3.44 X 2.58 inch area. Both have excellent resolution at macro. The downside of the FZ20 is that the flash is blocked more by the large lens in macro. For really good macro work you need a circular strobe on any camera and they make one for the FZ20. You can get around that with the FZ20 by zooming out and shooting from further away. Macro mode works all the way to 12X zoom, but the area it will focus down to isn't as small as it is at wide angle. I don't have exact numbers as to whether the FZ20 at full zoom will focus on as small an area as the V3 at wide. It depends on how small an object you want to fill the frame.

The cameras are very different in size. You could carry the V3 in your purse or pocket where the FZ20 is a large camera. It is light for its size but bulky.

The 12X stabilized lens on the FZ20 is excellent. Stabilization not only helps for telephoto work, but also gives some great available light shots at wider angles. You can shoot without a tripod in a lot more situations with the FZ20. The FZ20 also has a very powerful flash that reaches over 20 feet.

If your primary object is macro, Nikons have a good reputation for that. If you need to shoot from very close and still use the built-in flash read the reviews for some of the Nikons.

Don't listen to salesmen who don't know their products. The FZ20 is an excellent camera. So is the V3. They are just very different.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:02 PM   #9

Iagree with you 100% i use to own a Primaflex 2x2 and it was very good camera it broke had to send it to east Germany that time it was unrepairable even here in Toronto i could not find anybody so gave it to a museum. Now coming back with those two camera what intriques me is the Optical Image Stabilizer MEGA O.I.S. on Panasonic

You see i am not anymore so stable with my hand i cannot go down 30 shutterspeed that i was quiet steady now i need at least 60 to hand held. i thought that stabilizer would help .:?